ACPI error from Ununtu 22.04 LTS

derekvg

Reaction score
Credits
I have been reading up on AskUbuntu and this LINUX.org/Ubuntu forum about the sudden occurrence of APCI errrors resulting in a situation where systems might or no longer boot, the latter being my situation.
What i learned is that itś considered "a problem that usually occurs when new hardware is involved¨. That assumption might be true to a certain extend. it is NOT true in my case.
I have a desktop with an ASUS mothreboard van AMD10 processor from 2014. I started with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and moved on to 16.04 LTS then 18.04LTS ( which caused a lot of problems so i reinstalled with 20.04 LTS) in June 2022 I reinstalled my PC with 22.04 LTS. I never had any ACPI error during the Boot process
Since october 2022 my PC has been playing up with ACPI errors duyring the Ubuntu boot process and it died around christmas. worse imho it has killed a 2 TB HDD (3.5") but my system disk an SSD is still working.
Before my holidays in september my PC started i mean i couldn´t get a cupper while booting, from october onward i could take a shower while waiting for my PC to boot.
I have Ubuntu 22.04 on a stick and it doesn´t matter if I boot from the stick or the SSD it takes time, bloody much time.
So I can categorically deny that the ACPI erreor problem is linked to new hardware, imho itś linked to the way ubuntu 22.04 is looking at ACPI and i expect an update after june 2022 is the cause of the problem.
my next step is to go back to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

One of the solutions is to change the Grub config file and add noacpi, acpi strict or whatrever.
please describe how I can get to that /etc/default/grub file, how I can edit it and how to save it , the how to pass it through the grub2 executable from a system that doesnot boot not even from a bootbale USB stick

Please let me know what info you want about my setup to help you resolve

You can get to /etc/defaul/grub file. By in a terminal typing this.
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Don't forget, after you edit, you need to save it. As you're using Ubuntu, it should be:

Code:
sudo update-grub

Dave @kc1di and David @KGIII

please describe how I can get to that /etc/default/grub file, how I can edit it and how to save it , the how to pass it through the grub2 executable from a system that doesnot boot not even from a bootbale USB stick

The OP cannot boot.

I am installing a distro at the moment, I'll come back a little later in my day.

@derekvg welcome to linux.org . Are you on BIOS-MBR or UEFI-GPT?

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

The OP cannot boot.

I was going with this:

I have Ubuntu 22.04 on a stick and it doesn´t matter if I boot from the stick or the SSD it takes time, bloody much time.

It boots, it just boots slowly. (Was what I concluded. Even though they later say it doesn't boot, I took that to mean it doesn't boot properly/in a reasonable amount of time.)

Which leads me to this...

Instead of booting to make those changes by fully booting or booting to USB, they can modify grub by pressing the shift button for normal boot and the escape button if they're using UEFI (I think it's escape for UEFI) and then modify boot through the advanced mode deal.

I'm still icky but they might also press the F8 key and get some of the text that's on the screen. That might help someone else follow through with this.

You can get to /etc/defaul/grub file. By in a terminal typing this.
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
Good one, i'll remember that when i can get the system to boot and I can acces a terminalwindow and gedit in adminmode again , thanks
sorry about my sarcastic tone but i stated that I don´t end up with a worjable system :
<quote> please describe how I can get to that /etc/default/grub file, how I can edit it and how to save it , the how to pass it through the grub2 executable from a system that doesnot boot not even from a bootbale USB stick </unquote>

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, could you clarify what you mean with "Are you on BIOS-MBR or UEFI-GPT?" my BIOS supports UEFI, yes, and it\s switched on
Make sure secure boot is turned off. How far does the boot process get? Can you see the Ubuntu login or no?
if you hold down the ESC key when it first starts to boot you should be able to see the grub menu in that go to advanced and self safe mode what happens?

@wizardfromoz will not be back online for approx 9 hours...possibly a little longer (different time zones)

In the meantime, make and boot up a usb with MX Linux on it. Take it for a spin. Your hardware may enjoy the experience

It boots, it just boots slowly. (Was what I concluded. Even though they later say it doesn't boot, I took that to mean it doesn't boot properly/in a reasonable amount of time.)

Which leads me to this...

Instead of booting to make those changes by fully booting or booting to USB, they can modify grub by pressing the shift button for normal boot and the escape button if they're using UEFI (I think it's escape for UEFI) and then modify boot through the advanced mode deal.

I'm still icky but they might also press the F8 key and get some of the text that's on the screen. That might help someone else follow through with this.
You are right it boots very slowly, something is the matter and I'm staring to doubr that the ACPI errors are to blame, like the acpi errors are a crust of moss hinding the stone I stumbled upon.

Well I did get it to boot from the usb stick , so I get a gui.
But in the mean time i've been trying all kinds of stuff so I managed to booted from the SSD and got to this situation :
UBUNTU_IMG_20230219_171846_s.jpg
After this i get to a

root@computername : ´# _ prompt

the command journalctl - xb show a 1000 lines of bootlogmsgs new question
a) what prompt am I at ? what shell is this?
b) what commands can I execute here?
c) if I put in a usb flash drive
-- what command can I use determine what the usb drive is
- what command can I use to pipe the output of journalctl > [usbDEV]/a_bootlog?.txt file on the flash drive

Last edited:
What happens if you Type Control-D ?

This will seem a bit simple, but let's cover the basics. (ACPI warnings are fairly normal, actually.)

In that emergency session, what happens if you apply your updates - assuming you're connected to the 'net?

This will seem a bit simple, but let's cover the basics. (ACPI warnings are fairly normal, actually.)

In that emergency session, what happens if you apply your updates - assuming you're connected to the 'net?
What emergency session are you talking about? do you mean the root@machinename_# prompt?
As i've said before
<quote>
a) what prompt am I at ? what shell is this?
b) what commands can I execute here?
c) if I put in a usb flash drive
-- what command can I use determine what the usb drive is
- what command can I use to pipe the output of journalctl > [usbDEV]/a_bootlog?.txt file on the flash drive
<unqouote>
and that begs the question
- how can i see if i have a connection to the net? or how can i connect to the net?

What emergency session are you talking about?

In your screenshot you're in said emergency more (as it tells you).

From there, you'd press the enter button. It should then ask you to login, this will be in plain ol' text.

Then try the following:

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

Let's see what that does.

In your screenshot you're in said emergency more (as it tells you).

From there, you'd press the enter button. It should then ask you to login, this will be in plain ol' text.

Then try the following:

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

Let's see what that does.
Well, I will try, the enter key brings up a root@computername:~# prompt
typed login got a login: but couldn´t login not with my userid not with root
ctrl D does something : buy a red error msg comes up
failed to start default target: Transaction for graphical.target/start is destructive (emergency.target has start job queued but stop is include in transaction)

I'm considering giving up and installing Mint or MXlinux instead

Last edited:
I'm considering giving up and installing Mint or MXlinux instead

That might be the speediest solution, assuming it works.

You should be able to login there with your username and password. If you can't, something more is going wrong.

Try a Mint live USB/DVD and see if it's relatively speedy. It'll boot slowly 'cause it's booting from USB or optical media and booting to RAM, so unless that takes a very long time I'd ignore it for the time being.

When booted to the live OS, see if your hardware works. Does your wireless work? Does your sound card work? Those are the big two I'd check.

I don't have a sound card so that less of a worry video and network are onboard
I do have a a lot of USB and memorycard slots an SSD as boot drive, a CD/DVD WR,
took out my HDD because it seems knackered

Downloaded Mint latest version made a bootable USB stick
starts reasonably fast, and i saw 2 acpi errors flash past , nothing about the smbbus errors though so that is better than the ubuntu, i can copy the data left om the SSD and see about installing Mint

Last edited:

Members online