ACPI error after installing Ubuntu 22.04

I'm on the road today, all the way to Augusta!

Anyhow, if I was an OEM I probably would not put a whole lot of effort into Linux on the desktop. I'm glad when they do, but we are really not a big share of the market.

Anyhow, if I was an OEM I probably would not put a whole lot of effort into Linux on the desktop. I'm glad when they do, but we are really not a big share of the market.
Exactly.

Right after valuble data is entered and saved it's loaded onto usb flash drives x2.

The x2 is in case one usb flash drive fails.

Some data that is really important I save to a CD or DVD.
I find it surprising that you, where you openly proclaimed yourself as "cheap", would engage in an act of disc burning, when you could obtain a quality USB storage device, having 30 times the capacity of a DVD and costing only the sum of 20, and being damn near infinitely reusable.

Saving a buck is all well and good, but I employ the practice of "sensible purchases". Which is why I buy my underwear from turkey, cost about 5 times that of normal underpants, but right now I'm wearing a pair from 2019 and still silky smooth. They're pretty bulletproof too, surviving the "caustic after-effects" of the notorious balkan pork&beans stew.

Back in the day I built a pc so powerful, that only now, in the eight year of its life, I am just beginning to deem it as insufficient. And even such, it can still run cyberpunk 2077 at 1080p medium settings at playable framerates. Saved quite a bit of money there as well, since I didn't have to even touch a new piece of hardware to keep it at an acceptable level.

I just remembered something... I got the ACPI error bug after a pop_os update. Pop is not exactly a lightweight distro, maybe I got caught up in some backwards compatibility compromise to keep the distro streamlined?

I just purchased 100 count unopened package of DVDs from my local thrift store for 0.99 cents plus tax.

I'm always finding CDs and DVDs new and unused never opened in thrift stores for dirt cheap prices.

I've probably got 2000 CDs and DVDs that are new in unopened packages because when I find them cheap I buy them opened or unopened as long as they're not used..

I just purchased (10) 4.0GB USB flash drives at the same thrift store new in package for $1.00 each.

Some people seem to think they need to have all of the latest and newest technology available and that anything else is inferior.

I don't.
I like and use old technology.

So yes I'm a cheap old bastard. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I've burned a DVD for the better part of a decade.

I do sometimes burn music CDs. That's about the extent of my optical media usage and even CDs are becoming a thing of the past. You have to work at it if you want a CD player in a modern car. There are a few left with them, but they're few and far between - and on the lower end side of things.

Otherwise, you just connect via BT and stream your music from your phone...

I'm okay without optical media in my life. It was very useful for many years. My first CD burner was a grand. It went on sale for $500 a few months later. They've just gotten cheaper and cheaper since. My last few mobile devices don't have any built-in way to read optical media.

I save family photos and everything else on CDs and DVDs way more reliable and damn near bullet proof short on stepping on them and breaking them.

I save family photos and everything else on CDs and DVDs way more reliable and damn near bullet proof short on stepping on them and breaking them.

I use a backup system that I really need to write about, but stuff like that is all stored in multiple ways and in multiple physical locations. If your house burns down, I hope you have a copy of all those DVDs stored in someone's basement somewhere. (I do.)

I also don't backup everything, or even diligently. Like, my OS isn't even remotely backed up, but my ~/ is backed up well. Then, I really only care about some config files and I've kinda eliminated the need for those in some ways. I'm not even a tiny bit concerned about the OS failing to start or breaking. That's trivial, and quick, to recover from. All I need to do is move my config files back.

I can even restore and have the same exact browser tabs open (and you know I have a whole lot of those) in the same place. If I can't retrieve that, I have a recent export from a tab manager, so I can restore 'em with just a couple of steps.

I dunno when I last broke my OS. So, that's not even remotely on my list of things to backup - though I suggest everyone else do so. If my OS breaks, I can fix it. If it'll take more than 30 minutes to fix it, I'll just recover ~/ onto an external disk, install the OS, and move those files back.

I'll still have my documents, pictures (that aren't important), and even my ~/Downloads! It'll be like nothing happened. I might even decide to install a different OS and it'll still be like nothing changed.

I really need to do 'how to backup properly' article. I've been saying that for like two years now.

You can get rid of those ACPI Error messages by
Will this also prevent these ACPI messages from showing up in syslog? My syslog is flooded with repetitive ACPI error messages of this kind (actually the same error lines twice a second, over and over again), which pretty much renders the syslog useless.

Yeah, I just tried this, and this ACPI crud still shows up in my syslog, which means that this fix doesn't work for the syslog. @Lord Boltar, do you happen to have a fix for the syslog as well please?

Yeah, I just tried this, and this ACPI crud still shows up in my syslog, which means that this fix doesn't work for the syslog. @Lord Boltar, do you happen to have a fix for the syslog as well please?
You can add acpi=off to boot options in grub config.
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet splash acpi=off"
hopefully all those erroneous errors will quit getting logged in syslog

Last edited by a moderator:
You can add acpi=off to boot options in grub config.
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet splash acpi=off"
hopefully all those erroneous errors will quit getting logged in syslog
That rendered my computer unbootable. Anyway, for now it looks like I'll have to live with this ... unless you happen to know other tricks :)

The only other thing I can think of does your BIOS have a hybrid-graphics mode? if so try tuning it off

This is what does it: no more syslog flooding! Overheating, however, still happens.

Many thanks to all for your replies and attention to this matter!

Members online