ACL usage

airj0hn

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I'm trying to complete a practice exam for RHCSA, and I'm stuck on a question regarding creating a group environment.

The question is basically asking, if there is a common group created for users, but one person is the "head" of that group, how do I setup an environment where there is a directory that all members of the group can create files in, but the users can only delete there own files, and only the "head" person can delete all files in that directory?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks! John

Last edited:

I think you mean you want to create a directory that only the group members can write in but once a file is written there they can't delete it, but only the head person is allowed to delete the files. You could do this by setting an acl to allow the group to write in the directory, and to set the default acl permissions for that directory that created files are created read access for the group and both readable and writable for the head.

Last edited:
I think you mean you want to create a directory that only the group members can write in but once a file is written there they can't delete it, but only the head person is allowed to delete the files. You could do this by setting an acl to allow the group to write in the directory, and to set the default acl permissions for that directory that created files are created read access for the group and both readable and writable for the head.

Thanks for your reply, and I did word it a bit wrong. I've corrected it to be similar to the scenario that you stated. I appreciate the help and I think that's the right path to take and I'll use that link as a guide.

Good luck, John, although I do not think you will need it, as friend @f33dm3bits has qualifications in Red Hat, but good luck with the exam anyway, and let us know how you go :)

If you get the time, consider swinging over to Member Introductions, where you can meet and be welcomed by some of our group :)

Avagudweegend

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online

Latest posts