Access to an HDD on Linux Mint 20.0--SOLVED

Thx.
Here is what it read:
HP-ProDesk-600-G1-SFF:~$ inxi -D
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 1.14 TiB used: 24.05 GiB (2.1%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Micron model: MTFDDAK256TBN-1AR1ZABHA
size: 238.47 GiB
ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Toshiba model: DT01ABA100V size: 931.51 GiB

I 'found' both the SSD and the missing HDD when I accessed 'Disks'; so THAT's good.
Apparently I had not finished the operation of partitioning the HDD; so I DID that and it now DOES appear under 'Devices'--PHEW!
But it also shows it as 'unmounted'.
What I want to do is "mount/activate" it so that I can put my docs/pics onto it rather than have them on my SSD.
Over the past 2 days I have continually been denied the ability to do that as the HDD says that "ROOT" is the owner and I am not allowed to touch it.
So, my goal/question is how do I access/activate the HDD so I can use if for docs/pics storage??
THANK YOU ALL!

HP-ProDesk-600-G1-SFF:~$ inxi -D
inxi is a very powerful tool, we use it often to look for problems, try and remember it..
the most common ones I ask people to use are
inxi [space]
-A for Sound
-D for Drives
-G for Graphics
-N for Network
-P for Partitions
-S for System
-Fnxz for a full profile [if its for your own information NOT for pasting to sites then use -Fnx without the z which is a filter]

Last edited:
For a quick test, you can try this.

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt

You should be able to see your disk under /mnt

You can go into mount options and change it to mount at boot. In Disks.
It is mounted at:/media/mak/storage (/dev/sdb1)
I went into settings (the 2 gear symbol) and the "default" box was checked.
I unchecked it and saw that "mount at system startup" was then a checked box.
If I want access to the HDD for my personal files etc. is THAT the way I want to go?
I just don't want to do something that will screw up a new computer is all.
THANKS!

First, thanks to ALL who helped and provided guidance to me in solving my conundrum.
The good news is that I finally did get access to the HDD!
The 'final hurdle' was that the HDD was not FORMATTED!
Why? I have NO IDEA.
But once, out of exasperation, I hit 'format' all the pieces fell into place.
I don't understand why the SSD came formatted and the HDD did not, but, all's well that ends well!
Thanks again to everyone!

First, thanks to ALL
your welcome, as you are now a happy member , please go to your first post and amend the title to include "solved"

Bwiz

Glad it all worked out for you :)

NP
I just don't understand how the SSD WAS formatted and accepted Mint 20.0 right away but yet the HDD was NOT formatted---makes no sense to me!

If the drive did not have a partition table on it Mint installer will ignore it. And will not format it. It will only format the disk where it's going to install the system. If you wanted to format the HDD you would have had to choose other from the partition screen and selected that Hdd to format as well. So as far as Mint is concerned that is what most likely happened.

I just don't understand how the SSD WAS formatted and accepted Mint 20.0 right away
It probably wasn't, formatting is a part of the partitioning when you install

Ah! Thank you! That DOES make sense to me.
Yet when I partitioned the HDD it remained NON-formatted; seems kinda inconsistent, no?

How did you partition it? With what tool?
With Mint's partition tool "Disks" you can partition without formatting. You have to tell it to format the drive.
that option is under the drop down menu from the three dots on the right of the top bar.
In Mint's install partition manager you have to make sure you choose the file system you want it formatted to or it does not format it.
In Gparted under the partition tab you find format drive also.
Just notes for future reference.
In any case Glad it's sorted for now.

Last edited:
Thanks for all that info; I am sure that I will make good use of it in the future!
I think that I used 'Disks' to partition and, I guess, that explains why it never got formatted.
Yes, I am also relieved; this frees up my SSD to be used as how it was intended to be used.

Members online