A victory!

Status
Not open for further replies.

heretical_1

Reaction score
Credits
total newbie here, not "technical" at all. Have been using Zorin for a while, had to upgrade to version 15. Thanks to the help of @Tolkem, I managed to get the new os installed. It isn't working properly on my system, so I have to go to the lite version...but the usb stick I had flashed the core os onto was now useless for anything until it was "de-partitioned". This time, I wasn't going to be spoon-fed the destructions on how to do it if I could avoid doing so. Looked it up online, found all kinds of crazy terminal-command stuff that scared the hell out of me...and then found that the "disks" utility natively installed on the Zorin 15 does everything right from the interface! Yesssss!!! Now I have the lite version ready to install this evening, hoping that will solve the issues I had with the core version. Thank you everybody for your help, and I really appreciate when programmers do things to make life easier for those of us who are not puter-savvy!

Last edited:

@heretical_1 Glad to know you're taking matters on your own and succesfully getting the things you need to done right away :) Terminal might be scary at first but you might start with this very helpful command
Code:
man
which is a tool to acces all the BASH, Unix commands present on your system, for example, you can try with
Code:
man ls
this open the manual page for the ls utility which lists files and directories in your system, if you open a terminal and type
Code:
ls
you'll see all the contents of your home dir. There are many commands you can use which are very easy to use, and yes, there are others which are very complex and hard to as well, but you don't have to use them if you don't need them, you're not programmer nor am I, what I'm trying to say is that you could try and learn the basic ones which can come really handy when doing certain repetitive tasks, here are a few you can man to learn the basics of them;
cp, mv, cd, cat, du, df, free, which, more, less, ps, top. Most of these commands are for gathering information, others for creating, navigate and manipulate files, i.e, cp is for copying and making backups
Code:
cp some_file some_file.bak
will create a backup of some_file so you can edit it and if something goes wrong you can just do
Code:
cp some_file.bak some_file
reverting whatever you did the file to its original form. Easy, isn't it? Not every command is a "science-fiction-futuristic-100-lines" of weird stuff you've no idea what they do, some are as simple as that one yet very powerful and helpful when used properly. Try and see for yourself how the terminal can be a very useful tool which can get you out of trouble when nothing else works. One piece of advice though, don't copy/paste commands you find on the web, that's a very bad habit no one should ever do
Again, really glad you're finding your way around Zorin :)

The OP has a number of Threads, so I am locking this one so as not to further confuse.

Cheers :)

Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online