A Look At Debian 11 Cinnamon : Fresh Installation

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
After downloading Debian 11 Cinnamon a few days ago I've been glued to the computer chair and desk for days! :)
I'm very well pleased with the install.

Here's the complete story with screenshots.
Enjoy!

I'll read your article in a few minutes. Or at least later tonight. (It's open in a new tab.)

I figured I'd also mention that Ubuntu Cinnamon is now an official flavor. So, if you're doing it just to review, there's another one you can review.

I'm pretty fond of the Cinnamon DE. I dunno if I have the time, but I might look to see if they have enough people testing the live version. (That's my position with Lubuntu, more or less.)

I'm not a background guy - 'cause I never see the background. I have full-screen applications open, like an email client and multiple browsers. I might see the background for a few seconds.

But, this one is pretty cool:

56945b_ed03fbdf341a4d52871e60f547b7db9d~mv2.png

I'm not a background guy - 'cause I never see the background. I have full-screen applications open, like an email client and multiple browsers. I might see the background for a few seconds.

But, this one is pretty cool:

56945b_ed03fbdf341a4d52871e60f547b7db9d~mv2.png
I thought so too!
Years of painting in oils and acrylics It's nice to have a variety colors.

There are some really neat wallpaper website out there.

I thought so too!
Years of painting in oils and acrylics It's nice to have a variety colors.

Thanks for the resources!

I just use a stylized BMW pic. In fact, I haven't had to change it for a number of years now - 'cause I haven't lost the original. I'll eventually lose the original and it'll get replaced with something new.

2023-04-06_19-08.png

Out of all the things I own or drive, I'm a pretty big Bimmer (and Beemer) fanboy.

For the curious, Beemer is not the cars. Beemer is the bikes and they predate the Bimmer nickname which is specifically for the cars. You'd have to go through the history of BMW to understand why, but bikes came first - shaft driven bikes instead of chain driven bikes, if you're curious.

Though, it's said that the logo is because BMW first made airplane engines and so the logo is a stylized airplane prop. However, that's untrue... It's the Bavarian country's colors and stylized the way it was (kinda is, as it's very similar) because current laws prohibited using the country's flag/coat of arms on a commercial product. It has nothing to do with airplanes.

(Yes, yes I love me some BMW history.)

My first brush with Spiral Linux was Cinnamon version. But GIMP acted too weird one day, didn't maximize properly. Then I discovered a real adventure with the way the OS assigned CAPSLOCK and CTRL keys. I had to abandon that OS, sadly because the CTRL key died for some reason and I couldn't find the way to make it work. That key is heavily needed in a program that I like and use a lot. :/

Spiral Linux Budgie, GNOME, KDE, LXQt didn't have this problem. Never tried MATE nor XFCE -- for what since I went for Debian and Sparky Linux with those desktops.

Prefer the Ubuntu Cinnamon look but it was a memory hog that ran too slowly on my system. Manjaro Cinnamon was also like that, unfortunately, in addition their ISO's and those for MATE fall behind the "official" GNOME, KDE, XFCE ones. :rolleyes:

Nice review, but it is missing one key element: a link pointing to the Debian Cinnamon Edition home page or download page.

I searched for it, but I am not sure which one it is. I like download pages I can trust, from the "official" site, including a trusted method to get checksums and/or digital signatures that I can verify.

I have been trying several distros with Cinnamon this week.

Last edited:
Since my post above, it occurred to me that Cinnamon could be included in the tasksel menu that appears during a typical Debian installation. I downloaded the Debian 11 installer from the official debian.org website, which has checksums I can trust:

https://www.debian.org
https://www.debian.org/download

Sure enough, Cinnamon is offered as part of a normal Debian installation. When the tasksel selections appear during installation, disable GNOME and enable Cinnamon. The tasksel selections are labeled "Software selection" when it appears.

Nice review, but it is missing one key element: a link pointing to the Debian Cinnamon Edition home page or download page.

I searched for it, but I am not sure which one it is. I like download pages I can trust, from the "official" site, including a trusted method to get checksums and/or digital signatures that I can verify.

I have been trying several distros with Cinnamon this week.
Thanks-
Here's the link to the Debian 11 Cinnamon download + non-free:
debian-live-11.7.0-amd64-cinnamon+nonfree.iso

There's at least one other topic with users raving or not about Cinnamon desktop...

Here's something else to check out if you dare:

A month earlier I tried to get the ISO but was provided by N.Z. file-sharing service, it took a long time and then failed because it couldn't co-exist with greedy Firefox.

Members online