A Farewell to an Old Friend

sp331yi

Reaction score
Credits
FAREWELL TO AN OLD FRIEND

Throughout the years I distrohopped, SalixOS is one I came back to again and again. Its reliability, ease of use and its beauty appeal to me, still. Therefore, it is with some sadness I see SalixOS is now a "dormant" GNU/Linux distribution (at least according to Distrowatch.com). As such, this may be the last time I will use it before it becomes obsolete. When its parent, Slackware, moves on to version 14.3 (or whatever number is next) this, most likely, will happen.

I make no apologies for being a 'Lazy Slacker.' A 'Debianite' Linux user at heart, I was delighted when the Salix development team came forth with the slapt-get package manager. Harcore Slackware users aside, slapt-get may be this maligned distro's only legacy.

Lessons learned with Salix and two or three Debian Sid-based distros will not soon be forgotten! The various forum communities surrounding such distros helped immeasurably in teaching me what little I know regarding GNU/Linux, today. But I do hope Salix does not become obsolete and die.

Nevertheless, all good things come to pass. What matters is what we are able to pass on to the benefit of others from what was learned. I suggest giving Salix a try before it is too late. You may well learn something worth passing on.

sp331yi

aka
chamaecyparis
(deprecated)​

Attachments

• Salix_200724_lazyslacker.png
    Salix_200724_lazyslacker.png
    487.5 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

Looks like an interesting distro if you want to try out and see what slackware is like, most stuck to rpm and deb based distros.

Used it a few years ago .pat v was on twitter few days ago seemed to be in a good mood and to a question "what about 15" stated "there is light at the end of the tunnel" so maybe sticking points KDE etc have Been overcome ?

Used it a few times, yeah pretty reliable no unpleasant surprises

Used it a few years ago .pat v was on twitter few days ago seemed to be in a good mood and to a question "what about 15" stated "there is light at the end of the tunnel" so maybe sticking points KDE etc have Been overcome ?
Good news

Members online

Latest posts