A bunch of tor exits have been used to attack crypto users.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
From Slashdot:

For more than 16 months, a threat actor has been seen adding malicious servers to the Tor network in order to intercept traffic and perform SSL stripping attacks on users accessing cryptocurrency-related sites. From a report:

Lots of arguments here saying that TOR is not trustworthy.

I should be sleeping.

Anyhow, I trust Tor pretty much none. None trust.

I had a ton of work to do while my part of the world slept, and decided to babysit it. Some servers needed updating and rebooting, as well as some bugs from the cPanel folks needed manual attention. I used the time between bits that required my attention to spend more time polishing the new site, so it wasn't for nothing and I should be home-free for some time to come.

The servers have been online for a couple of hours now. They seem to be doing okay. I tested in staging pretty heavily and then pushed it to production. Total downtime was ~15 minutes and another ~2 minutes to reboot the switch for some upgrades. I timed it to coincide with some work from another hosting company that I host with and all went pretty smoothly. (I host a couple of sites for people here. That's through another hosting company. Not to be confused with 'business' servers that actually make me money.)

I probably could have just set it and forget it, but where's the fun in that?

You're pretty safe so long as you stick to the .onion domains, but there are no .onion domains I really want to visit. Using it to access the regular web means you really aren't as anonymous as people think. That's when I lose all trust in it. You *can* be vulnerable on the network, but blocking any scripting and keeping the browser as stock as you can will pretty much defeat that - assuming you're also smart enough to not reuse usernames and email addresses.

I didn't read through all of them at your link, but anyone with enough clout can do something called a 'timing attack' and that will use the times that packets are transmitted at various points to figure out who is doing what. Basically, they see when you send a DNS request, when a packet leaves your device, when it hits the TOR network, when it leaves, when it hits the site you're visiting, when the site sends back a packet, back through the network, and back to your PC. They can check the timing of all those events and see what you're doing. Then, a malicious attacker can control end-points and do a variety of things to the traffic flowing through it.

So, if you're using it like a VPN that's going to provide complete privacy, you're doing it wrong.