A brave new Linux World

CherieTenaciousD

Reaction score
Credits
G'day,
I'm very keen to switch to Linux. I've watched a bunch of tutorial videos and have backed up and downloaded the Ubuntu distro, but after another video I just watched I'm now concerned whether my wireless and Bluetooth components are compatible. From the looks of it I think I will run into issues.

I’ve search in the forum and read some similar threads and now think I may be out of my depth when it comes to sorting out things like getting the Realtek wireless thingo to work correctly. I had to Duck Duck Go where to even find the wireless bizo in my laptop.

That being said, can a noob like me work it out or would I be better to take my Laptop to a computer shop and asking them to do the install?

We have an online store and I want to end Micosoft subscriptions and have looked into Linode as a server and cloud to store all our images. If successfull I have 3 PCs that I would like to change to over as well.

This is what's under the bonnet of my laptop.
Device name MyLapTopPissOff
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3750H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.30 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.81 GB usable)
Device ID F5B8C1A7-27A0-47D5-AD71-3A3B773CF68B
Product ID 00325-96589-71385-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Wireless Bizo.
Manufacturer: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Description: Realtek 8822CE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC
Driver version: 2024.0.10.102
Physical address (MAC): 80-91-33-7D-FB-A3

Bluetooth device.
Realtek Bluetooth Adaptor: RFCOMM Protocol TDI

I hope that info helps, cheers Cherie.

Welcome to the forums

Description: Realtek 8822CE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC
Driver version: 2024.0.10.102
you show a LAN [wired to router] but no wireless so I cant answer that question
bluetooth..90% of bluetooth kit works out the box

the only way to find out for sure is download a distribution burn an Iso pendrive and boot it into live mode where you can test what dose and what dosn't work
alternatively you can list the make and model of your 3 computers. I will take a look at the teck sheets and see if anything jumps out at me.

Bwiz

realtek can be a problem to get going but it can be done. Make sure your secure boot is turned off.
Ubuntu though a great distro may not be the best choice to get started with. Mint may be better choice.
MX- may also work well with your setup Go for MX-KDE edition.
Manjaro also has very good hardware detection.
But if you want to do Ubuntu do as Brickwizzard has said and try in from a live usb first. that will tell you if the wireless will work out of the box. if it does not you have to install some drivers for the card which will not be all that hard.
Good Luck.

Correction.. 8822CE is the wireless.. I am not use to the way you reported it ..yes it can be a problem but nothing you cannot overcome
Now a suggestion, as the lappy is for business use and is relatively new Try MX-19.4.1_x64 “ahs” , as it has more up to date firmware than many of the others

Bwiz

under Ubuntu if you bring up the Software & Updates then click on the Additional Drivers tab it should find the drivers for your Realtek 8822CE WiFi install that reboot it should work - you will have to be connected to Internet via Ethernet

under Ubuntu if you bring up the Software & Updates then click on the Additional Drivers tab it should find the drivers for your Realtek 8822CE WiFi install that reboot it should work - you will have to be connected to Internet via Ethernet
If he is using the LTS 20.04.x he will have to add the realtek driver team ppa or get the driver directly from github. See here for instructions
and here

That's why I suggested it may be easier for a newbie to try a different distro than ubuntu. But it can be done. Not sure about bluetooth I find they either work or don't.

If he is using the LTS 20.04.x he will have to add the realtek driver team ppa or get the driver directly from github. See here for instructions and here

That's why I suggested it may be easier for a newbie to try a different distro than ubuntu. But it can be done. Not sure about bluetooth I find they either work or don't.
Those are for 8822BE Bluetooth not CE for WiFi - the CE version does get detected through Software&Updates
The other option is to go to - https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/rtl_bt
and here - https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/rtlwifi
and download the respective blobs to put into firmware at /usr/lib/firmware