32gb / root is not enough?

u666sa

Reaction score
Credits
I followed google advice for 32gb root partition and now I'm having problems.

I want to install blackarch tools and it says there is no space.

Before I'm not too far into my install. Should I reinstall and use larger root partition?

The Debian web site says 10 GB should be enough to install Debian. That does not include all the other stuff you want to install on your other partitions.

You can add a second storage device and use a mount point. You can even create a file system in a file and mount it.

I'd use MS util to shrink sda3, figure out what's the matter with sda2 (doesn't look large enough, IME), then expand sda6 with Gparted, and proceed with whatever you're doing.

Space will have to come from sda3, it looks like.

Best wishes!

Not familiar with Blackarch but...IT looks like that download screen shows 12.6 GB needed just for the download, the final install space (after decompression) is 47.4 GB and after clean up is done, 46.5 GB will be used. Did you add packages beyond basic install? That could bump the base size up tremendously. I'd use gparted and move 32 GB from sda8 to sda7 to sda6 (leaving the others the same a passthru if you will.) That leaves you with another 16GB in /root /boot /var /usr (everything but /home). Or just destroy the partitions setting the sda6 as 64, sda7 as 12 and sda8 as 173.

That seems to leave enough room for the install and more (logs, library updates etc.)

Hope you find a usable solution!

I followed google advice for 32gb root partition and now I'm having problems.

I want to install blackarch tools and it says there is no space.

Before I'm not too far into my install. Should I reinstall and use larger root partition?
If I am reading and interpreting that second screenshot correctly the installed size of those 'tools' is over 46 gigabytes.
You're going to need a lot more room!
Also, 12 Gig for Swap seems a bit much.

On second thought -- OP has a mess there! It'll take more time to move things around on such a large hdd that it's not worth it, IMO. I never have messed with bitlocker, but you'll have to turn it off before anything can be done to clean things up. Once done, show what space is being used in sda3 and come back here for further suggestions, is my suggestion. 666 is a good handle for such.

On second thought -- OP has a mess there! It'll take more time to move things around on such a large hdd that it's not worth it, IMO. I never have messed with bitlocker, but you'll have to turn it off before anything can be done to clean things up. Once done, show what space is being used in sda3 and come back here for further suggestions, is my suggestion. 666 is a good handle for such.

Aren't those MS drives (sda1, sda2, sda3) and before what OP wants to change? And changing AFTER the bitlocker is fine, it's before and during that becomes the problem?

Hellifiknow! I'd wipe it with zeroes and start over with fdisk.
Nuff said.

I would, but wait for me on my tomorrow and I'll give you some tips

Good night from Australia

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

:) BTW where are my manners? @u666sa welcome to linux.org

@wizardfromoz -- whatsamatter, wiz, 100F not hot enough for you?
But, then again, I laugh at those around here who feel 0C is cold!

Very likely there is a lot of "junk" in the / partition, the OP's /home only has about 7gb! Unless OP has a stunningly large number of apps installed already.

I would start with:
Code:
sudo apt autoremove
sudo apt autoclean
sudo apt clean

Then do a df -h in a terminal and see how much that cleaned up. There may be a lot of data being written to log files, so that would be the next thing to look at.

My / partition runs consistently at 8GB or less, with 148GB in /home.

Some of the Helpers here are confused with the nature of Blackarch - perhaps @Trenix25 and @jglen490 ?

Blackarch is based on Arch.

@u666sa

Code:
du -ah /var/cache/pacman/pkg

will tell you straight away what you can immediately get rid of with

Code:
sudo pacman -Scc

That's for clean/autoclean.

For autoremove

Code:
sudo pacman -Qdtq | pacman -Rs -

I'll be back with more after more morning coffee.

BTW that superuser article? Over 10 years old! Only part right is that you can do without the large swap.

Cheers

Wiz

@u666sa

Can you, from Terminal, post us the output of

Code:
sysctl vm.swappiness
?

Also, how much RAM do you have?

Cheers

Wizard

BTW

Blackarch won't install, lul.

Blackarch is installed, from the look of the /dev/sda partitions. Will it not boot up?

Members online