32-bit vs 64-bit

I ran a windows diagnostic repair, it says a cable is not plugged into the local area connection, but there never was a cable for that. What am i doing wrong?
So, you're using a wireless connection to the internet, right? Don't worry about a cable error.

If your wireless is having trouble, a reboot might help. But not if you are downloading a file... you will lose what you have so far if you reboot.

I guess you mean you are low on hard drive space.... 3GB of RAM is plenty to do almost anything. :D

Etcher is pretty small, about 80MB for Linux. For reference, it takes 1000 MB = 1 GB. The Linux .iso file should have been about 2 GB. If you right-click on the Linux file and click Properties, you should see the size. Let us know what it says.... Windows reports size differently from Linux.
windows says the file size is 2,042,000 KB

yes, i did mean hard drive space

windows says the file size is 2,042,000 KB
Windows Explorer gives that number, but nice even numbers make me nervous so I transferred a copy over to a Windows 10 laptop that I have. The number you got is good, but let's look more carefully so we can be more comfortable skipping that "verify" step. Again, right-click on the file like I said before, and click on Properties to see the exact file sizes. There are 2 of them, and hopefully they match these below:
Size: 1.94 GB (2,091,008,000 bytes)
Size on disk: 1.94 GB (2,091,024,384)

Be especially sure the "Size on disk" matches. I'm pretty sure we'll be okay here though.

Next, you need to get Etcher, or something else. You should see a big green Download button on the Etcher website that should start a download for the Windows installer. No?

ok, the 2 file sizes are the same - 2,091,008,000 bytes. the LAN problem showed up when I tried to download Etcher. Absolutely nothing happens. Since Linux is done downloading, I will reboot the computer and try downloading Etcher again. Here goes....

Okay, if Etcher fails, we'll move on to another program instead. It may be that it doesn't like Vista.

still nothing happens when I press the download button on etcher.

Okay. Go to this page, scroll down, and click the big button to "Download UUI"

It is much smaller and should work with Vista.

Okay. Go to this page, scroll down, and click the big button to "Download UUI"

It is much smaller and should work with Vista.
through trial and error i think i have it downloaded, no big green button (only placeholder) but I have a file, now what?

no big green button (only placeholder)
Not a green button this time, that was Etcher.

If you have the UUI (Universal USB Installer).... it does NOT install. Just double-clicking the file will run it.

But first, it might be a good idea to put in your USB flash drive so you see what the Drive Letter is (D: or E: or F: or further down the alphabet). While you have it plugged in, go ahead and right-click on the drive and choose Format. There is probably a check box for Quick Format... check that, or it may take a long while to finish. After formatting, we can try to put Linux on it.

Not a green button this time, that was Etcher.

If you have the UUI (Universal USB Installer).... it does NOT install. Just double-clicking the file will run it.

But first, it might be a good idea to put in your USB flash drive so you see what the Drive Letter is (D: or E: or F: or further down the alphabet). While you have it plugged in, go ahead and right-click on the drive and choose Format. There is probably a check box for Quick Format... check that, or it may take a long while to finish. After formatting, we can try to put Linux on it.
I already formatted the usb flash drive earlier today. my drive is E. Is this really going to happen?

I hope so! Good luck!

1. Have the USB drive plugged in.

2. Double click the UUI file you just downloaded. Windows will ask if okay to run it, say Yes. Then you have to click "I Agree" to using the UUI program.

3. On the UUI screeen, Step 1. Click the down arrow and choose Linux Mint. Just Linux Mint, not the Linux Mint 32/64 line.

4. On Step 2. Browse to where your Linux Mint .iso file is stored.

5. Step 3. Choose your USB, drive E: to burn it to your flash drive.

6. Skip the Persistence section (don't drag the slider bar).... just click Create at the bottom.

Hopefully I didn't forget anything (I just did this myself a little while ago.) Wait for UUI to complete the burning process... it will take awhile. It will say "Complete" when finished.

ok, giving it a whirl.

The screen will kind of change several times. Wait for it. Wow, without Persistence it may be fairly quick. The main window will say "Installation Comlete" at the top, and the green text in the middle will say "Process is Complete!".

When finished, you can click the Close button to exit the UUI program.

The screen will kind of change several times. Wait for it. Wow, without Persistence it may be fairly quick. The main window will say "Installation Comlete" at the top, and the green text in the middle will say "Process is Complete!".

When finished, you can click the Close button to exit the UUI program.
INSTALLATION COMPLETE!!
i'm afraid to ask what's next, but what's next?

Hold on, Granny.... you're going for a ride! :D

Leave the USB plugged in, and reboot. Use the ESC key like before so you can boot on the USB. It will take awhile, and I forget exactly what you'll see. But be patient and let it load fully. With luck, you'll arrive at the Linux Mint desktop, and you'll have 2 icons on the desktop, I think [Edit: 3 icons]. One will be "Install Linux Mint" but I'd say let's hold off for just a little while on installing it. Just run it in "live mode" for awhile... see if your wireless internet works, check YouTube and see if sound works, etc.

Good luck again!

Last edited:
Before we break out the champagne... there can be problems too. But let's see what happens. I've got my fingers crossed. :D

Well, you've been gone awhile now, so either you're having a lot of fun with the new system, or it didn't go well and you've given up for the night. But I've got to give up for the night too, so I'll look for your report tomorrow on whether the USB booted or not.

Cheers

Last edited:

Members online