2nd monitor not being detected hence no display

jave808

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all

Just built myself a new rig and decided to try AlmaLinux 9 as a change from Linux Mint.

Software wise, things are ok. I managed to get BOINC running as I use this PC as a cruncher and as my daily driver.

video card installed is a RTX2070. But I cannot for the life of me get 2 monitors running.

My main (primary) display is working ok on the cards HDMI port. I have a 2nd monitor connected to a DP port on the card - but no display.

Specs as follows:
Host: B550 GAMING X
Kernel: 5.14.0-70.30.1.el9_0.x86_64
Uptime: 11 mins
Packages: 1545 (rpm)
Shell: bash 5.1.8
Resolution: 1920x1080
DE: GNOME 40.9
WM: Mutter
WM Theme: Adwaita
Theme: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
Icons: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
Terminal: gnome-terminal
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (24) @ 3.700GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Rev. A
Memory: 4294MiB / 128265MiB

Any ideas?

Not being familiar with Alma linux, but okay on fedora, this is the process I would follow:
Run xrandr in a terminal to see if X sees that the second monitor is connected. Read the whole output to find out what it sees. If the second monitor is seen, you can try and use xrandr to configure it, but if there's difficulties with that, you can configure the second monitor with a sectional xorg.conf configuration file which you would add into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/, or /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf/. See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/multihead, for details.

If by chance the monitor is not seen when you boot up, you could try and see if the OS detects it by leaving it disconnected on boot, checking xrandr output, then plugging the monitor back in when booted, and checking xrandr again.

I can't say what facilities gnome DE has for configuring a second monitor, but there may be some which you could research and that may actually obviate the manual approach above.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts