21.04 won't start from grub

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Recommended a fresh install , seem Like Op has 25 to 30 partitions all with Ubuntu 21.04 installed I say just wipe it all and start over.

OK, no need to cry over spilled milk - I am after a solution - rehashing / speculating what MAY have caused the problem is now pointless.

But I need to have a better reason then just "try it , it won't hurt.
As I said before , I am paranoid.
I rather live with this than risk loosing access to all current packages. I do not keep record of them, and I am sure there is a command to get a list of them...but why bother ? ( i do not need a list , i need to be able to use them...)

In reality - I do not have a boot problem , my system boots just fine, - it is grub who is having an issue not having an access to an image it claims to have found.

I really can't think of a good reason to do so and I missed the boot-repair recommendation. I wonder if they tried. It's surprisingly successful in many situations and, if not, it has a great report you can share with us to help diagnose the issue. It's actually one of the first tools I'd reach for in this situation.
Agreed, boot repair would have been my first choice.

The other thing that makes it interesting is I think OP has a triple booted system.
It would be good to know which os is at the top of the Grub Menu and which os has the boot in the BIOS.

OK, no need to cry over spilled milk - I am after a solution - rehashing / speculating what MAY have caused the problem is now pointless.

As I said before , I am paranoid.
I rather live with this than risk loosing access to all current packages. I do not keep record of them, and I am sure there is a command to get a list of them...but why bother ? ( i do not need a list , i need to be able to use them...)

In reality - I do not have a boot problem , my system boots just fine, - it is grub who is having an issue not having an access to an image it claims to have found.
As long as you have that many partitions and instances of Ubuntu Grub is confused about which to boot.
Your best practice to to perform a fresh installation, seriously:-:)

Because it *may* just do the trick and, if not, there's an option to export your boot information to share with us so that we can see if the problem is easily fixed.

Agreed, boot repair would have been my first choice.

I'm not sure they actually want help at this point. I'm gonna bow out.

Because it *may* just do the trick and, if not, there's an option to export your boot information to share with us so that we can see if the problem is easily fixed.

I'm not sure they actually want help at this point. I'm gonna bow out.
Ok-

From #17

gparted did not cooperate - would not let me delete "busy" partition.

You will have received something like this

CeWKKyE.png

Yes?

This is because, in my case /dev/sdb14 and the EFI System Partition /dev/sdb2 are mounted at the time, and GParted cannot work on a partition that is mounted.

You would first have to right-click and unmount the partition after which process is completed, you can perform the functions listed in the context-sensitive menu.

Back from trip and exhausted, more tomorrow.

Wiz

By this point, all things being equal, you should have either
  • cleaned up an existing partition on one of those 2 TB drives (not /dev/sda) and formatted to EXT4 a destination partition ready to house your backup of Home folder or partition (you have yet to tell us which it is) or other Data-housing partition OR
  • created in appropriately sized unallocated space a partition to either of which you have then
  • backed up the data you need to save
If, and only if, that has been executed, then you are ready to

SUGGESTIONS (Cont.)

2. Write a new installation of Ubuntu onto /dev/sda, which process will delete all the RAID structure currently in place, and which is clearly proving to be more problematic, than problem-solving.

At this point, you should decide what version of Ubuntu to put on the computer.
  • If you wish to put 21.04 'Hirsute Hippo" GNOME again, be aware that it will reach end of life around 20 January 2022.
  • I would not consider 21.10 'Impish Idri' due for release around October 20 next, because it too has a nine-month shelf life.
  • Waiting for the next LTS (Long Term Support) release to be available (known currently only by "JJ") will see you waitn until around 20 April 2022.
I would advocate instead putting on 20.04 'Focal Fossa', issued April 2020, but upgraded twice since. It is currently on 20.04.2 released 4 February last, so if you installed it, you would only be faced with 6 months of updates to follow up with, not 16 months.

Further, you have have 5 years support.

Let us know how you are situated currently, and what course of action you would like to follow.

Cheers

Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online