1st Linux just installed

J

Jay S

Hello Everyone,
I'm brand new to the Linux world, having just installed LXLE on a 3-year old ASUS netbook (1.6 GHz ATOM dual-core processor, 1 GB RAM) last night. The install went just fine but I lost the ability to turn the wireless adapter on... ;-{ There is a hotkey sequence, Fn-F2, that is designed to do this but it doesn't work after the switch from Win7 Starter to LXLE.

The computer itself responds so much quicker with the new OS. This gives me hope that I've made the right choice. I became disenchanted with Microsoft quite some time ago but kept moving slowly forward with the current.

Anyway, I've been a Windoze user for a while now and remember the hoopla of the Windoze 3.0 GUI rollout. I had switched over to OS2 at that time and was already doing all the 'cool' graphical things that 3.0 claimed it would do. Well, you know how those rollouts are as much hype as actual functional...

I do remember using the command line quite a bit in the early 90's but I've never written any code. I'm looking forward to getting acquainted with Linux now and have future plans for a print server for an older HP printer, a bit of NAS and maybe even email and blog pages!

Lots to learn and do....

Nice to meet you all and thanks for the support (I'll be needing it),
Jay

Enjoy the ride!

Well it's great to have you aboard. We have the most friendly bunch of Linux users out there. Just do us one favor, when you post a question, include necessary items like OS, computer..etc. It makes life so much easier when we have to troubleshoot :)

Jim, thanks for the welcome and tips. I did start a separate post first and got it solved by simply resetting the bios. Along the way, I learned a bit as well.

Enjoy the ride,
Jay

Jim, thanks for the welcome and tips. I did start a separate post first and got it solved by simply resetting the bios. Along the way, I learned a bit as well.

Enjoy the ride,
Jay
I try to learn one new thing every day. Then I cannot say the day was a complete waste, no how bad it is. :D Welcome to the group, and enjoy the ride too. I used OS2 Warp V4 & 4.51 to control industrial robotics, until the manufacturers of the machines "upgraded"o_Oo_O to Win XP then Win 7. It's strange how a 8 core 3.4 GHZ machine running Win 7 can not run as quickly as my old 900MHZ OS2 Warp machines ran.:eek: It also takes a wee bit longer for the robots to start up too! HMMMM! Kinda makes you wonder, doesn't it? The only real problem I found with OS2 was trying to get it to log onto a WINDOWS network. As I remember when I worked for heathkit, they called it "Hostile Interface" if you tried to use a non Heathkit peripheral with their computers. Maybe Microsoft had the same Idea, just did not publish the fact.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Paul

Members online