1st day with Ubuntu need help with devices

mikebailey7776

Reaction score
Credits
Ok so I have installed Ubuntu as a dual boot on my windows machine. I have a realteck USB wireless adapter to connect to my home network. I have a CD that has Linux drivers on it but I don't understand how to install them. I don't even know how to look at devices. on windows you have device manager! is there any such thing with Linux? Can anyone help a stupid newbie?

Ubuntu does have a Driver Management screen, but if you do not have access to the internet (i.e., via ethernet cable), it may not help much - depending on the exact driver needed. It would be helpful to understand the exact chip that the Realtek wifi has. Make and model info does NOT provide that info.

What you can do is inquire the actual hardware by doing this; open a terminal and enter:
Code:
lshw -C network

Then copy the output and paste it here in a reply.

open a Terminal.....

keyboard shortcut is .... Ctrl-Alt+T .....(ignore capitals)

Here is the info you asked for. i donthink it even see's the USB wireless adapter. I'm currently loginto Ubuntu using Bluetooth on my phone for internet is there anything i can do now that i have internet connection? keeping in mind Bluetooth is slow.

mikie@mikie-Vostro-220s-Series:~$ lshw -c network
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: enp2s0
version: 02
serial: 00:25:64:ca:cf:5f
size: 10Mbit/s
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
resources: irq:18 ioport:e800(size=256) memory:febff000-febfffff memory:fdff0000-fdffffff memory:febc0000-febdffff
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.
mikie@mikie-Vostro-220s-Series:~$

Which ubuntu on which specific machine is what is needed, at a minimum, for anyone here to be able to begin to help.

Suggestion: go to terminal -- Ctrl-Alt+T, as Condobloke points out -- and type in
Code:
inxi -b
. Then copy and paste the output into your next post, please.

ASIDE: I hope ubuntu comes with INXI instaled!
the USB wireless adapter
-- give us name and numbers, please.

Last edited:
Maybe this helps. If Bionic and Realtec r8168.

I have the Cd that came with the adapter that has Linux drivers on it just don't know how to install them?

Here is the info you asked for. i donthink it even see's the USB wireless adapter. I'm currently loginto Ubuntu using Bluetooth on my phone for internet is there anything i can do now that i have internet connection? keeping in mind Bluetooth is slow.

mikie@mikie-Vostro-220s-Series:~$ lshw -c network
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: enp2s0
version: 02
serial: 00:25:64:ca:cf:5f
size: 10Mbit/s
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
resources: irq:18 ioport:e800(size=256) memory:febff000-febfffff memory:fdff0000-fdffffff memory:febc0000-febdffff
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.
mikie@mikie-Vostro-220s-Series:~$
The Realtek wifi was actually connected?

If it was then yes, we need to start with make and model. The actual model identifier/letters/numbers MIGHT help.

I have the Cd that came with the adapter that has Linux drivers on it just don't know how to install them?
Can you list the files on the CD, taken from the file manger, regarding Linux?

Members online

Latest posts