The Linux Kernel: Introduction

Thanks a lot. Why don't you remove "NOTE: To better understand this article, check out the previous articles in this series." from this ? :)

Thanks for catching that. I had just copy and pasted that to all of the articles. Thanks.

Thanks for the articles anyhow.
Out of curiosity, can I know how you learned all these :D ?

Mainly my knowledge comes from experience and a lot of reading. I also talk to other computer-geeks on Google+. Thanks for reading and enjoying.

thank you very much really that best article about how to make and compile your own kernel

very very clear and simple and easy
i will print it on A4 paper and read it in rest time in college (thousand time better than talk and walk with girls )

ah sir if i want add GUI interface with my customized kernel to make my own Linux based on original kernel like Tine Core

how to do that
i need it very simple Graphics user interface

thank you very much really that best article about how to make and compile your own kernel

very very clear and simple and easy
i will print it on A4 paper and read it in rest time in college (thousand time better than talk and walk with girls )

ah sir if i want add GUI interface with my customized kernel to make my own Linux based on original kernel like Tine Core

how to do that
i need it very simple Graphics user interface

GUIs are not added to the kernel. I am not sure how to make a custom distro. I am still researching that because I would like this article series to extend to making full distros. Thanks for the compliments! Happy reading! :D

thank you sir

another question
can i custom the kernel and build it (or compile it) then convert it to image CD to boot up in kernel mode with command line only

thank you sir

another question
can i custom the kernel and build it (or compile it) then convert it to image CD to boot up in kernel mode with command line only

Yes, you just need to know how to use the GRUB's command-line (called CLI-Mode) to tell GRUB to boot the kernel. Also, you still need a GNU/Linux system somewhere. The kernel itself cannot be booted alone.

Notice how sometimes Linux is referred to as "GNU/Linux". Linux is the kernel and GNU is the userland. You must boot the kernel with a userland.

I'm new to Linux and I'm taking an intro class, but I am so lost. Thought this would help, but I'm still having problems. I downloaded the kernel, but I can't uncompress it. Tried xz utils, but that also is a compressed file, and I can't uncompress that as well. Any suggestions?

No luck! My system has Window 7 Enterprise and every time I download a xz, gz, or bz file, there is nothing on my system that can open/decompress it. Obviously, there is something I don't understand about this process. I've downloaded many files from the internet, none of which were compressed, and had no problems doing so. So, do you have any other suggestions?

No luck! My system has Window 7 Enterprise and every time I download a xz, gz, or bz file, there is nothing on my system that can open/decompress it. Obviously, there is something I don't understand about this process. I've downloaded many files from the internet, none of which were compressed, and had no problems doing so. So, do you have any other suggestions?

Download and install Peazip.

GUIs are not added to the kernel. I am not sure how to make a custom distro. I am still researching that because I would like this article series to extend to making full distros. Thanks for the compliments! Happy reading! :D
Hi, I was reading a book, "Linux From Scratch" from Linux From Scratch (LFS) Project. I hope you can read, understand and then explain to us all in simple words how to make a distro. It is a bit too complicated for me now.

linuxfromscratch website

Note: Sorry, I can't post with links now so ...

I hope you can read, understand and then explain to us all in simple words how to make a distro. It is a bit too complicated for me now.
Linux from scratch explains how to build a GNU/Linux system from the ground up - not how to make a distribution, which is something else entirely. If you find the LFS website hard to follow then making a distribution is a long way off.

If you want to know how to put together a so called "derivative", i.e. something based on an existing distribution, then you would need to learn all you can about that distribution by using it first.

Hi, I was reading a book, "Linux From Scratch" from Linux From Scratch (LFS) Project. I hope you can read, understand and then explain to us all in simple words how to make a distro. It is a bit too complicated for me now.

linuxfromscratch website

Note: Sorry, I can't post with links now so ...

I already submitted the whole series in ebook form to the owner of the site, so it should be released soon. As the series moves along, I will update the ebooks.

I hope to transition this series to making a whole distro, so keep following this series. I am wanting to make this series go on for as long as I can.

it downloads a .xz file that doesn't open on my computer