“Unable to create io-slave” error

Shmu26

Reaction score
Credits
I am trying to attach a file in the "Send Fax" wizard of HP Device Manager (HPLIP 3.20.6).
I am running it on Kubuntu 20.04.
In the window called "Select Files to Send", I click on the "Add..." button, and I get the error
Code:
Unable to create io-slave. Can not create socket for launching io-slave for protocol 'file'.
This has nothing to do with the specific location of the file I want to add, because I get the error before I can choose location.

First thought is permissions.

Have you tried doing this as root or with "sudo"?

First thought is permissions.

Have you tried doing this as root or with "sudo"?
It's a good idea, what would be the command to launch it? I tried sudo hplip but that doesn't work.

I found a list of hplip commands, but I get a warning that hp-toolbox and hp-sendfax should not be run as root, and then they fail with an error. But the commands work when run with regular privileges.
Code:
warning: hp-sendfax should not be run as root/superuser.

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.20.6)
PC Sendfax Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

warning: Reportlab not installed. Fax coverpages disabled.
warning: Please install version 2.0+ of Reportlab for coverpage support.
No protocol specified
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display :0
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

Aborted

Members online