marbles

Reaction score
Credits
why are there 2 software managers - synaptic and regular

so confusing. when to use which one

let me guess - there's 19 more

this sucks

only 19 ?.....lol

Software Manager contains every app/program/software that is on Linux Mint and is possible to Install on your linux Mint
Synaptic package Manager contains every piece of software/apps that are already installed on your Linux mint, THESE are marked with a green square...see the pic below....that means that particular app is Installed on your pc. if you were to right click you can reinstall, completely remove etc etc....after you right cl=ick and select something you then need to click on apply....up in the top left hand side

1714268899777.png

In Software Manager the installed apps are TICKED...see pic below

1714269012611.png

Software manager has probably got more apps listed than Synaptic

Be VERY careful with Synaptic ...fiddling around in there can totally screw your system

Synaptic is an integral part of apt....which totally controls the Update Manager....It is a very complex arrangement

I still need to know which version of Linux Mint you have. It is possible you have an outdated version .....quite possibly Linux Mint 17.1 ... This version DID NOT include Libre Office.
You are not the only person running an outdated Linux...far from it.

I still need to know which version of Linux Mint you have. It is possible you have an outdated version .....quite possibly Linux Mint 17.1 ... This version DID NOT include Libre Office.

It's in the "U" series. Last September, I referenced January 2023 with this

Back in January, you told us you were using Libre Office 6.4.7.2, and so I was able to establish that you were likely using Linux Mint 20.2 'Uma' or thereabouts, and advised some helpers to that effect.

So that will not be out-of-date until April 20 2025 or thereabouts (Mint sometimes give it to end of June).

Good luck getting the info out of him.

Wizard

One of the cool features of Synaptic Package Manager is I see exactly what software is installed and all of its installed dependencies.

This thread should be moved here.

Not everybody on this forum uses Mint. :rolleyes:

I'll think about it, Ron.

That being said, the subject title features synaptic and software manager.

Synaptic either ships with, or can be installed from repos to, every Debian/Ubuntu/Mint-based distro.

Likewise virtually every distro has a Software Manager or similar capability.

So these questions are not confined to Mint.

General Linux Questions might be a better home for it.

Cheers

Wizard

if you downloaded libre from the software manager it will automatically become part of the update routine...same for Synaptic

If you downloaded from a website, the update may come via the help button....look for something saying 'update'

You could really make this so easy and simple, for both me, the rest of the members and yourself.

I have asked you countless times

An answer, please.

I wonder why?

Could it be because you refused to answer the simplest of questions ?.....which are totally necessary to give you the help you ask for ?
You have been asked over and over for the version of Linux you are using. ....and the version of Libre being used etc etc

You have one chance remaining with me.....and only one.

The Member has been given a leave of absence.

Thread locked.

Thanks to those who have tried to help.

Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online