The unthinkable has happened: Nvidia has finally embraced open-source GPU drivers

They don't support any of my Nvidia graphics cards so as far as I'm concerned Nvidia still sucks and always will.

I need the 340-108 proprietary Nvidia driver.

The newer Linux kernels no longer support for the Nvidia 340-108 driver.

They may have waited too late in my opinion. I was a GeForce guy for many years, but recently switched over to Radeon and I'm not looking back.

I guess it's a big change but then again I use my GeForce only on Windows and I have no clue what other driver I need than the latest - so not much change for me

I need the 340-108 proprietary Nvidia driver.

The newer Linux kernels no longer support for the Nvidia 340-108 driver.
Uh-huh. Same for me; neither of my Nvidia cards are supported by the current drivers any longer.

On the HP desktop rig:-

• For 32-bit Pups, 390.147 is the newest they can handle
  • For 64-bit Pups, I can go up as far as 470.199.02.....but no further

On the Lat, like you I have to settle for 340.108....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shinobar's "getNvidia" utility makes installing the official drivers a breeze for us. But there IS one advantage of running an unsupported card in Puppy; once you've installed the most up-to-date driver, you can forget about it.......because unlike all other distros that regularly update and change everything 'in situ', with our Pup nothing changes (unless the user manually makes changes themselves).

And although there's no such thing as 100% bulletproof, Puppy's native run-time model comes pretty close to it.......especially with everything but the 'save' loading into RAM from read-only files, which can then be removed once up-and-running (easy when running from USB, not so easy from an internal drive.....but can be achieved by a judicious, well-known edit to the initrd.gz).....

....and if you think you might have caught summat 'nasty' during a session, don't save it; just let it evaporate into cyberspace.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
It good news for those using Nvidia card. My needs are limited and I don't do much gaming so it won't affect me too much.
But always good to see a firm going open source. :)

They may have waited too late in my opinion. I was a GeForce guy for many years, but recently switched over to Radeon and I'm not looking back.
I've never had any issues with Nvidia but I recently switched to an AMD gpu, I'll be sticking to that as well, I guess I was using Nvidia for so long because of good marketing lol. As long as there aren't Nvidia drivers in the kernel that support modern gaming for current gpu's I won't consider it opensource enough.

Last edited:
Both my older Dell laptops have Nvidia -
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics
driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: NVIDIA GF108GLM [NVS 5200M] driver: nouveau
v: kernel
last Nvidia driver I could use was the 390 series and Kernel 5.4 - with that said the Nouveau Drivers work just fine with no issues

I guess it's a big change but then again I use my GeForce only on Windows and I have no clue what other driver I need than the latest - so not much change for me
Windows is where all of my Nvidia graphics cards are still fully supported and I understand why.

Uh-huh. Same for me; neither of my Nvidia cards are supported by the current drivers any longer.

On the HP desktop rig:-

• For 32-bit Pups, 390.147 is the newest they can handle
  • For 64-bit Pups, I can go up as far as 470.199.02.....but no further

On the Lat, like you I have to settle for 340.108....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shinobar's "getNvidia" utility makes installing the official drivers a breeze for us. But there IS one advantage of running an unsupported card in Puppy; once you've installed the most up-to-date driver, you can forget about it.......because unlike all other distros that regularly update and change everything 'in situ', with our Pup nothing changes (unless the user manually makes changes themselves).

And although there's no such thing as 100% bulletproof, Puppy's native run-time model comes pretty close to it.......especially with everything but the 'save' loading from read-only files, which can then be removed once up-and-running (easy when running from USB, not so easy from an internal drive.....but can be achieved by a judicious, well-known edit to the initrd.gz).

Mike. ;)
Using Puppy Linux makes a lot of stuff in Linux a lot more useful sometimes for awhile longer anyway.

I like the fact that kernel updates sometimes still support some of the needed proprietary drivers.

Another plus is new kernel updates don't come along and all of the sudden no longer support hardware as in most mainstream Linux distros.

Yep Puppy Linux rules imo.

It good news for those using Nvidia card. My needs are limited and I don't do much gaming so it won't affect me too much.
But always good to see a firm going open source. :)
It's good news for those who have newer Nvidia graphics cards but not for us who still use older Nvidia graphics cards.

Both my older Dell laptops have Nvidia -

last Nvidia driver I could use was the 390 series and Kernel 5.4 - with that said the Nouveau Drivers work just fine with no issues

Nouveau open source graphics driver works good for most non graphics intensive stuff.

Try to run Linux "Flight Gear Flight Simulator" using Nouveau open source graphics driver it really sucks.

Members online