Australia - The Land Down Under

Real estate is expensive. 10km from a city is virtually still in the city eg Sydney, Melbourne Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide.

It becomes cheaper the further out you move.
The most expensive state is NSW...on the coast. The further inland you go the prices do drop.
Sydney prices....close to 1 million
A bit cheaper in Melbourne, but not by much
Brisbane a bit cheaper again. Perth appears to be growing a great deal, so prices are getting high. Adelaide I dont know a great deal about

if you work in IT is it possible for you to work remotely....from home?

Where in Australia did your relative live?

Australia is such a big country it is hard to narrow it down. Living within 10km of a city makes it expensive.

I would give thought to finding the IT job first. Then figure out the detail from there ?

if you work in IT is it possible for you to work remotely....from home?
That sounds attractive, do you think EU citizen could work remotely in Australia from the EU?

Where in Australia did your relative live?
He lived in Sydney.

Australia is such a big country it is hard to narrow it down. Living within 10km of a city makes it expensive.
I see, I'm not rich enough to buy a property in the town or near it, but renting a small apartment or something similar could work.
Or maybe buying a property somewhere completely inland, I think I'll go look for prices myself.

But overall I'm curious how much would be the cost of living for 3 months, ex. food, renting an apartment, monthly bills like electricity, water etc. and similar what's strictly necessary to pay per month.

I would give thought to finding the IT job first. Then figure out the detail from there ?
Yeah, that's good advice, otherwise entire trip could turn out to be tourism lol.

That sounds attractive, do you think EU citizen could work remotely in Australia from the EU?
That is a question I cannot answer. I imagine it would depend entirely on qualifications etc...it is not an area I am familiar with.

Australia is undergoing very big increases in the price of rentals. I live 200km in (west) from the coast, and approx 650km north of Sydney. Average rental price here is around $350 per week. Lower than that would be unusual.
The best news "papers" to read would probably be:

news.abc.net.au
9news.com.au

As with any news sheets they all exaggerate to some degree....but at least you would get some idea of the general attitudes and the ongoing drama with rental prices, etc

Or maybe buying a property somewhere completely inland, I think I'll go look for prices myself.
The cheapest housing in NSW is in Broken Hill. It is situated 1200 km north west of Sydney. It is very hot in summer, population around 18,000 .....quite isolated. It is closer to Adelaide than Sydney.
A livable house there at the moment can be bought for around 160,000 (AUD)...that price is current.

In Queensland, the areas to the west of Brisbane are also much cheaper, and again, very hot.

Realestate.com.au

Depending on how serious you get, a full size map of Australia on the wall can give you some perspective of just how big the place really is.

cost of living for 3 months, ex. food, renting an apartment, monthly bills like electricity, water etc. and similar what's strictly necessary to pay per month.
Cutting things to the bone.....being really frugal...
Food: $100 per week
Apartment/House: $300+ per week...this would probably cover Broken Hill....likely more elsewhere
Electricity: impossible to estimate...but likely $500 per month....unlikely to be less
water: $100 per month.....again hard to guesstimate.

Cost of taking out a lease on a house...4 weeks rent as bond + 2 weeks in advance.

Cost of travelling here and visa costs etc I am not familiar with.

Queensland is a big state....lots of happenings up there....most of the state is warm because it is further north

@Condobloke
I very much I appreciate your answer!, I see it would cost me some 6000 € living costs for 3 months.
I must admit that living in my country is way cheaper, some 1.5-2K €. per 3 months which is 3-4 times cheaper.

To buy a small house 10km away from my current city costs as low as 20K € toward 50K € for a solid small house (30-70 m2), and I currently live in the center of a city where the the cost of an apartment costs some 50K €. toward 100K €, that's seemingly 10 times cheaper than in some major city in Australia.

And job payment here goes from 500€ toward 1K € for ordinary jobs which don't require any school at all.
Jobs in IT are paid from 1K € onwards.

So in the end I think I'm going to investigate a bit further but I guess I'll give up.
Thank you for info again!

McDonalds find new way to dry a Mop...
https://au.yahoo.com/news/mcdonalds...enic-act-in-front-of-customers-031940354.html

1716262601720.gif

Last edited:
Stuff like this is why we DO NOT eat fast food.

This made me laugh...
"A McDonald’s Australia spokesperson told Yahoo that it was an “isolated incident” and staff at the restaurant have undergone “re-training” on sanitisation, hygiene and food safety procedures.”
1716332600705.gif

I don't eat this rubbish either...especially Mop flavour chips.
1716332858537.gif

The following is for fans of soccer.

The article was posted by our National Broadcaster, the ABC a couple of hours ago, but the 90 minute documentary it refers to in part, is found on our Ethnic Broadcaster, SBS.

The article

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05...y-western-sydney-wanderers-a-league/103901010

To watch the documentary, you need to register with SBS, which I personally highly recommend.

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/tv-program/came-from-nowhere/2334740547707

I watched it on TV on Sunday night just passed, and I am thankful that I never miss taking my heart medication, because the adrenaline rush I experienced was quite extraordinary.

For those of tender disposition, there is a significant amount of coarse language in the docco.

Cheers

Wizard

"Part way between violent revolution and mardi gras""...^^^^....thats says it all.

Western Sydney....186 languages spoken there. The common denominator?...Soccer

(a moment, please......Soccer is the word a great many know as the sport which used a round ball. To be absolutely correct, we should be calling it Football. I will just continue to call it Soccer so that everyone knows what the hell we are talking about.)

The most divers bunch of people you are likely to ever come across.

I dont condone the violence that sometimes takes place......I even shudder at some of the behaviour...

But....I love the sport. From when I turned 11 I played, culminating in representing my State (NSW)

The life got in the way, and Soccer took a back seat.

Do I love it ?....Yes.

Do I still watch it.....Yes !

Keep that heart medication close & handy, Chris......there will be more to come.

Members online