Zorin Is A Linux OS That Looks And Behaves Like Windows 7 – Lifehacker

Discussion in 'Linux News' started by News, Feb 26, 2012.

1. News

News LF News Poster

If you’re building a computer for a relative or friend and wish to avoid the cost of Windows 7 you might look into Zorin — the Linux OS’ elements such as the taskbar, file system, start menu and desktop all work just like Windows. Full story here.

More...
  2. pane-free

pane-free Active Member

As Zorin is to Win7, YLMF is to WinXP (but more so)

I've tried both and found YLMF more honest in unashamedly copying the now MS-unsupported XP. Personally don't use either, but gave YLMF to a fourteen-year-old girl who had only used XP up to that point (but then her mother cought her a laptop with Win7 on it) -- sigh!

In both cases, the premise that a young person wants what they are familiar with is untrue. Case in point -- I put peppermint on the hard drive of another fourteen-year-old girl's PC and she just went to town on it. I only showed her once how to use apt-get update and apt-get install and that was all she needed to get the rest herself.

Thanks for the report, however.

I like this forum!
  3. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Member

I think we are not doing anyone any favor by migrating them to Linux and still be stuck with the Windows GUI. It doesn't take that long to find your way around a new GUI. And some of the Linux DEs are good. Good as in better than Windows.