1. IMPORTANT - 11/13/2015: In light of a possible breach we have scrubbed all passwords. You will need to request a password reset through the site. Click here for more information.

Working OS?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by SolusUmbra, Mar 11, 2014.

1. SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra New Member

Mar 11, 2014
    I have tried several different linux systems on my old desktop but none of them want to seem to run. I tried ubuntu, Lubuntu, kubuntu and pinguy. Ubuntu loaded but didn't run all that great, pinguy just loaded up a blue screen with half loaded icons. With windows xp ending support next month I almost feel in a bind to find a working linux for my computer. Some of my system information is;
    Celeron(r) cpu 2.53GHz, 2gb ram, 149gb hard drive

2. Kryyll

Kryyll Active Member

Dec 9, 2013
    I had an old Gateway computer from the early 2000s that I used Crunchbang Linux on. If you're more of a beginner you can try Linux Lite which usually runs amazingly. If you want to try another Ubuntu based distro ElementaryOS I've heard is good, however, I've never used it; or Bodhi Linux which I have used and it should run on your computer if it ran on my Gateway. ;) If you really want a very minimalistic OS you can try Puppy Linux, one of my personal favorites.

Also, if you want go to distrowatch.com and search for lightweight(old computer) distros on there :)
    SolusUmbra likes this.