Windows defector.

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Greentea, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Greentea

Greentea New Member

Hello all. After several migration attempts, and after the 'Win 7' experience, I'm ready to go full-time Linux. The only real obstacle is finding alternates to all those proprietary MS apps that you're used to and depend on. I've dabbled in Ubuntu a few times but I'm not so keen on the Ubuntu Unity desktop. So many great distros to choose from - Bodhi and Mint/Cinnamon are my hot favorites. Looking forward to life in Linux. Peace.

Falcao and ryanvade like this.
  2. ryanvade

ryanvade Administrator Staff Member Staff Writer

3. Falcao

Falcao New Member

Welcome, I did the same 2 and half years ago, same way, first Ubuntu then Mint/Cinnamon. Now Linux 100% of time.
  4. Jim Laughlan

Jim Laughlan Member

I've used Linux before years ago, but since I changed to a laptop in '08 I was unable to use Linux as my keyboard was not being recognized. So I was stuck being held hostage with Vista. Now I use Mint (and I started with Ubuntu and Unity. Ubuntu is a fine distro w/o Unity and straight Gnome or anything other than Unity.) 17 and a Cinnamon desktop and its here to stay. If I didn't have to sync an iPod I would totally away from Windows all together, so I just use XP in a Virtual Machine to sync it with iTunes.
    Falcao likes this.
  5. Murp

Murp New Member

Jim: Heh, I gave up on a previous Linux conversion attempt because I couldn't get the Wifi in my laptop to work with any distro I tried.

Greentea: I'm in your shoes, except that I never really used Windows-exclusive programs. For the past, oh, seven or eight years, I've been using the same programs on XP...
    GOM Player
    Irfanview
    OpenOffice
    Firefox
    GIMP
    7Zip
    ...all of which have Linux versions. Er, well, maybe GOM doesn't, but I'm no longer as satisfied with it as I was when it first came out, and I'm not super-attached to it anyway, so whatever most people use on Linux to play videos and music'll probably be fine for me.

Search for "linux windows program replacements" and you'll find comprehensive lists.