Who Loves Ya, Linux Baby?

Discussion in 'Linux News' started by Darwin, May 22, 2012.

1. Darwin

Darwin New Member

As we do we love everything about Linux or we would not be here at the forum - here is a report you may be interested in which could explain a few issues.

If there's anything important in this competitive world, it's the ability to tell one's friends from one's enemies.

We here in the Linux blogosphere tend to be pretty good at that, but recently a surprising turn of events left us befuddled. Namely: Mozilla's decision to leave Linux support out of the initial release of its upcoming Web Apps marketplace.

Mozilla has been nothing if not a friend to FOSS over the years -- indeed, it's one of our very own best successes -- and Linux users tend to be among its most ardent supporters.

So what's up with this latest development? Was it just a simple delay? Was it a complete oversight? Or does it foretell a relationship gone sour? That's what Linux bloggers have been trying to decide.

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Who-Loves-Ya-Linux-Baby-75164.html
  2. Famous

Famous New Member

Im a Linux baby lover but i don't use up my whole day on Linux.
  3. cloud-powered

cloud-powered New Member

This is strange seeing, as Linux Insider states, Mozilla has always been very friendly and knees-deep with the Linux/GNU/FOSS community. However, out of all of the Firefox users on Linux, who would actually use the store in the first place?

Oh well, it isn't like we can't just place shortcuts to our favorite web apps on our desktop or anything. Who is Mozilla's target audience with this? It just seems like a waste of resources to be working on such a thing when Firefox is losing its market to Chromium/Chrome and IE9. The Firefox for Android app is horrid and isn't a pleasing experience. I feel they should work with what they have and not focus on niches.

EDIT: There is a WIP patch up on Bugzilla if any of you would like to have at the store. It's within the discussion:
    bugzilla.mozilla [dot] org/show_bug.cgi?id=744193
  4. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Hmm that is strange..... Well there are other free browsers out there for linux are there not? Even though Firefox remains the best.....does Chrome support Linux with their apps and such? :D
  5. Rob

Rob Administrator Staff Member

6. pane-free

pane-free Active Member

Having been a fan since Netscape Navigator came out, I am sad to see Mozilla become collateral damage to questionably-allied Adobe's decision to drop Flash Player support for Linux in general [but not Google (Android) in particular]. Things change -- C'est la vie!

I, myself, began to learn Chromium after the February 22nd announcement lest I fall behind the curve again. Looks like Google is upping antes for at least a few key pots.

@Rob -- are you talking the OS?
  7. Bill

Bill New Member

I think this is being blown out of proportion. Yes, it would have been nice for Mozilla to say, "We love our Linux users and they will be first to have everything we offer!". But, the reality is, there a lot more Windows users of Firefox than Linux users. It makes business sense to hit that market first. After all, they did not say they were abandoning us like Adobe did. They just said we would not be first.

On a darker level, though, I wonder how much of Goggle's money it would take for Mozilla shun us? They have been taking a lot of it lately. Just wondering.
  8. pane-free

pane-free Active Member

Bill said, "I think this is being blown out of proportion."

Could be -- time will tell!
  9. JimBobIII

JimBobIII New Member

Having less Linux users is one thing, but the fact of the matter is that Firefox is the default browser on a lot of distros. Would've been nice to at least give some reasoning.

Still, as much as I used to love Firefox, I've been a Chrome/Chromium user for a couple years now. FF's new interface from 4 onwards only served to reinforce my decision.
  10. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Member

Looks like the time has come for Linux Firefox developers to come out from the shadow of Mozilla. If Mozilla is not giving priority support to Linux, then those Linux Firefox developers would and should be able to proceed on their own with or without Mozilla's help. Eventually we will see variations of Firefox which are totally attuned to Linux and Linux alone.
  11. Bill

Bill New Member

Like IceWeasel?
  12. linbgs

linbgs New Member

So is Mozilla going to be supported on Linux???
    I am thinking about converting and firefox is my main browser.
  13. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Member

Yes, that's one. I have tried it. Not exactly what I am used to getting from Firefox but it works. There's another one with a Japanese name but I haven't tried it yet.
  14. mudrock

mudrock New Member

I love mozilla for their ability to provide multirow bookmarks as a bar. It is the first in its class with it and based on all my research, the only if not a few other obscure browsers.
  15. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Member

There's one other neat bookmark addon you can try in Firefox. It's called Tree Style Tab and you can get it here:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tree-style-tab/