Earphones not working in ubuntu

P

prateekk91

I have a dell laptop that runs ubuntu 10.04. The sound works fine when being played through internal speakers. However an external device such as earphones cannot play sound. How can I fix this problem? Please help

Hi prateekk - welcome to Linux Forum!

What model Dell laptop is it?
Does sound continue through the speakers when your headphones are plugged in?

Oddly enough my step dad experienced the very same problem with a dell laptop, i have no idea what model it was, nor do i know of a fix, as he just sold it.

Perhaps it could be a common problem with this particular model.

Try changing your hardware output profile. did you check your mixer levels?

Post your audio configuration.

You could install the latest Alsa drivers:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-alsa-driver-modules-$(uname -r)

Its a dell studio 1558, and the sound through the speakers also stops as soon as the earphones are plugged in. I tried updating the also drivers but it was of no use. I dont think its a hardware related problem as the earphones as well as speakers work perfectly fine with Windows. Kindly help, what can I do to have my earphones work.

Yes i checked my mixer levels. They are perfectly fine.

This is a issue I have as well the problem is the output on your sound card (the line out) needs seperate drivers. I could help you further if I could know which OS you are using. I use Kubuntu and I hate it. I loved Ubuntu however it was super slow.

It's maybe a hardware problem.Could you test your hardware with other method?:p

I'm assuming that there is something wrong with the output on your computer. You might have to get it replaced if it seems faulty at all, but I recommend you consult others before taking the risk. Good luck!

I myself had that same problem when I tried using my Dre Studios while my computer was running Ubuntu. Just download all the updates available (or the sound drivers at least). If that isn't the problem, it's probably either your audio output jack or headphones that is messed up. Try plugging your headphones into something else to check to see if they aren't broken as well.

Same issue with a Dell Vostro - but I found out later when I reverted that machine back to a WinOS that the soundcard was kaput. Too much jamming in the jack can cause the connections to become weak. That is if you have tried switching around the hardware config and still nothing.

I think that this problem is caused by the 2nd speaker channel being muted in default install. After un-muting external line out/headphone jack works correctly.Try with this procedure:
Open Terminal- Run alsamixer-Arrow across to 'Speaker 1'-Toggle mute using 'm' key – Note 'MM' in box under speaker channel changes to '00'. Exit alsamixer using 'esc'.
Hope this helps you.

USB headphones canceled out the problems with the headphone jack for myself. Besides the quality is much better with USB headphones, they are more expensive but much better.

I have a Dell Studio XPS 1647 and headphones do not work (though , internal speakers work like a charm) , I have dual boot Windows 7 and headphones work perfectly fine ...

I also tried -adding in options snd-hda-intel model=eapd probe_mask=1 position_fix=1.

I've experienced this with Oneric Ocelot and the latest Precise Pangolin (LTS).

This thread is really old. You should probably start your own new thread.

I have a Dell Studio XPS 1647 and headphones do not work (though , internal speakers work like a charm) , I have dual boot Windows 7 and headphones work perfectly fine ...

I also tried -adding in options snd-hda-intel model=eapd probe_mask=1 position_fix=1.

I've experienced this with Oneric Ocelot and the latest Precise Pangolin (LTS).
Try adding doing this:
1. Open /etc/default/grub with your favorite editor.
2. Change this line from: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" to the following.
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="snd_hda_intel.probe_mask=0x01"
3. Open a terminal and run: sudo update-grub
4. Reboot your system
5. Check if your headphones work now.

Members online