Which Distro is Right for Me?

Discussion in 'Linux Basics' started by DevynCJohnson, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Cyber-Berserker

Cyber-Berserker Active Member

My last post was an attempt to appear modest, while making a statement. The reasons I have a Magic Parted disc, are because it is a fully functioning OS that also has the Gparted application. It is useful as both a partition editor and rescue system. I was trying to correct Devyn without appearing smug.:)

João Silva and DevynCJohnson like this.
  2. Videodrome

Videodrome Active Member

I have a HIRENS CD which is like a swiss army knife of PC Troubleshooting. One of the tools included on the bootable CD is Parted Magic so I'm kind of familiar with what Cyber-Berserker is talking about.

Parted Magic is the desktop. It's like a Live PC Rescue OS. One of the many tools it includes is Gparted.
  3. Amol Patil

Amol Patil New Member

Devyn,
    I want to setup a system, with the least requirements.
    Such as minimum RAM, celeron or p4 processor and booting should be always through a bootable disk.
    Can you help me ?
    DevynCJohnson likes this.
  4. DevynCJohnson

DevynCJohnson Super Moderator Staff Member Staff Writer

Sure, I would love to help. When you say bootable disk, you mean like a live-cd so you put in a disk and use the operating system? If so, based on your criteria, I would recommend Puppy Linux (http://puppylinux.org/main/Download Latest Release.htm) or DSL (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/).
    Amol Patil likes this.
  5. Mah/Sweden

Mah/Sweden New Member

HI Devyn
    Thanks for the info. I am such a beginer with Linux. I read your articles above please help me with basics. I have my older laptop witch hade X untill it went very slow. I want to try Linux on it and i cannt connet it to internet. Please write me the steps that i should do to acheive that. Shall i download it on a cd on my new laptop and how? Please advice.
    Ps. By the way, is Linux from Finland?
    Regards
    Moh/Sweden
  6. DevynCJohnson

For an old laptop, you would probably want to use Puppy Linux (http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/puppy-5.6/slacko-5.6-4G-NON-PAE.iso). Download the file and burn it to a CD. Place the disc in the old laptop and install (this link may help you - http://puppylinux.org/main/How NOT to install Puppy.htm). Remember to install GRUB after Puppy Linux is installed on the hard-drive. Puppy Linux supports a variety of Ethernet and wireless cards, so you should have Internet support on your old laptop.

Yes, Linux was made by a Finnish student named Linus Torvalds.

If you have more questions, please start a new thread in the forums. We are all eager and happy to help.
  7. Meetza Peetick

Meetza Peetick New Member

While it's in my opinion one of the best distributions around everybody forgets about openSuse :)
  8. DevynCJohnson

True, but from my experience, OpenSuse has a lot of issues. You are the second person to recommend it, so I will go ahead and add it later (today or tomorrow).
  9. MES3OUD

MES3OUD New Member

I'm using Linux Mint 16 Petra.. it's just amazing !
    Thanks for the topic!
  10. JohnSerrano

JohnSerrano New Member

at the time my syatem is installed with UBUNTU and it is dong great .. by the way, i am enjoying my way of computing that has been pleasing yet so far