Try DigitalOcean free for up to two months!

What type of installation should I do? (Dual Boot / Live CD / Fresh Install / Virtual Installation)

Discussion in 'Beginner Tutorials' started by Rob, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Jimichan

Jimichan New Member

Thanks for the response ChristiW, but this is a new computer I just built for less than $100. Why would I want to have Windows installed? Linux will be the sole operating system for cost purposes, and because I think it is a mature OS and I'm eager to dip my toe in the water.

2. ChristiW

ChristiW Active Member

Sorry, I misunderstood. I read the backup for Windows machine with all the hard drives and thought you had Windows already installed. My bad.

Great distro is Debian! I would install that and put it on your hard drive. It's not a difficult distro to understand and use. (at least for me it's not ;) ) You can download a few distors and use the LiveCD to see which one you like without installing on your hard drive, then pick the one you like and install it.

3. Jeanette

Jeanette New Member

So once I had windows 7 and Vista on a divided partition so I could chose which one I was using. I can install linux that way? Or I can install it on a USB drive and run it that way? Sorry not trying to sound ignorant, just new to linux. Thanks

4. 李明科

李明科 New Member

thks。谢谢

5. Arun Balaji

Arun Balaji New Member

fresh installation is the best :)

Khachouk likes this.
  6. Khachouk

Khachouk New Member

[​IMG]

But the fresh installation is the best, it allows to exploit the resources to maximum.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  7. Khachouk

Khachouk New Member

both of them will work with you.