What Is Linux

Discussion in 'Beginner Tutorials' started by Rob, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Saptarshi Nag

Saptarshi Nag Member

Do you want unix or linux?what type of linux do you want debian,ubuntu,mint,fedora or anything else?
    Go to the official website of corresponding linux distro and you can download it without any cost.
    for ubuntu- http://www.ubuntu.com/download
    for linux mint- http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
    etc.

DevynCJohnson likes this.
  2. labrat

labrat Active Member

3. ssy

ssy New Member

This may be the begining of my learning way, may that I will keep! Thanks for you patience.
  4. DevynCJohnson

DevynCJohnson Well-Known Member Staff Member Staff Writer

5. Not_Here_11

Not_Here_11 New Member

I'm starting with only a brief experience 15 years ago with Linux/Solaris.
    My goal is to learn again so that I end up with a dual-boot laptop.

So, here goes....
  6. Boxchevy91

Boxchevy91 New Member

Brand new to the Linux world... so much to do where do I start?????
  7. Saptarshi Nag

Saptarshi Nag Member

It's always advised to learn it by using it.So you start using it after following the installation guide.Then move around the beginners' forum and learn it and for any problem do not hesitate to post there. :)
  8. gr8tD

gr8tD New Member

Rob, i honestly commend you on this great explanation, now i have an head start on all what Linux is all about and with this lucid explanation of yours i believe am in one of the best places and in good hands to kick start my Linux knowledge and boost IT career, cos all i had ever known is MS OS, but with all have hard Linux will help me do or the length it will let me go am ready to exolpre
    DevynCJohnson likes this.
  9. Eddie G.

Eddie G. New Member

Thanks for the explanation! Thsi will help me to get the word out to other people I expose to it. To those who are new to Linux my advice is simple. Before diving in feet first? R-E-A-D!!!! Read as much as you can on the particular area of Linux you're interested in. If you're just looking to get familiar with it? then DistroWatch is a perfect place to "see" and get a feel for what distros offer what apps and packages etc. Eventually the time will come when you're going to have to install it. And while there are various ways to do it?..I feel the best ways are the tried & true methods: Download the .iso of the distro you want - Burn the .iso to a CD (sometimes you'll have to use a DVD because the .iso is larger than a CD's 700MB limit!) or the second method which is a little more technical and "hands on" is - Download and install "Unetbootin".....from there you can use any of the links built in to Unetbootin to install the distro you want, OR you could download the .iso you want and then "point" to it in Unetbootin and install it that way. No matter which method you use a few warnings are in order. First, BACK UP YOUR DATA! I can't tell you how many times someone has said to me that their machine lost all of their pictures, movies, documents, weblinks etc. because they tried to install Linux and in the process wrote over their old OS. So before you do ANYTHING backup your data (I prefer an external 1TB USB hard drive....enough room for everything and portable!) and second? after you've made sure your data is safe, if you screw up an installation you can always do it again....don't be afraid to screw up or make mistakes, your data is safe, and there's no way you can entirely "destroy' your machine from a basic install so GO FOR IT! Don't be overwhelmed by the number of options you have, from the icons you use to the placement of your "taskbar" or maybe even NO taskbar at all! The sky's the limit with Linux, the more you use it? the less you'll like the "forced interface" of other OS'es...(not going to mention any names..but they know who they are!...LoL!) Welcome all to the wonderful world of true "Computing Freedom"!
  10. sudlin

sudlin New Member

Hi Rob,
    I loved the part when the kernel and GNU programs combined to make Linux.
    I really appreciate your explanation...