Problem partitioning hard disk

E

emekadavid

I have a problem partitioning my hard disk. When I ask Fedora 17 to do it automatically through free space available, or even looking for ext4 partitions, it gives this report: could not find free space for automatic partitioning; please use another partitioning method.
I then tried custom install, which i am really afraid of. I got this report:
sda(/dev/sda) : sda4 => size 68269 mb; type unknown.

the sda4 in question consists, i believe of, on my windows 7 machine:
H:, an ntfs partition of 50GB, and *:, an unallocated partition of 16GB.
H: is used for file storage and has System: None, Type: ---, on windows.

sda1, sda2, and sda3 report similar to windows 7 partition. where I have two ntfs partition, one is c: (boot) and *: (system).
thanks

login as root , and type in console : cfdisk /dev/sda4 , and post it the output

..or , under windows , you should made ,,shrink volume" , and define a new volume=16Gb , because a 16Gb space is not a partition , just unallocated space; a partition requires a filesystem.
At the bottom line , on windows 7 , right-click My Computer>Manage>Disk Management>and the you must view the unallocated space>right-click>new volume...done!

..or , under windows , you should made ,,shrink volume" , and define a new volume=16Gb , because a 16Gb space is not a partition , just unallocated space; a partition requires a filesystem.
At the bottom line , on windows 7 , right-click My Computer>Manage>Disk Management>and the you must view the unallocated space>right-click>new volume...done!
it'll be like speaking french to my grandmother. done that years ago.

Is /dev/sda4 already there? I bet you are running up against you can have only 4 primary partitions. The 4th partition would likely have to be a logical partition that would be further segmented out to other partitions.

Just a thought on what might actually be causing the trouble.

Is /dev/sda4 already there? I bet you are running up against you can have only 4 primary partitions. The 4th partition would likely have to be a logical partition that would be further segmented out to other partitions.

Just a thought on what might actually be causing the trouble.
yeah. /dev/sda/sda4. and it consists of two partitions, one unallocated and the other with files, but reported as a single space. see original question above.

Is this on a laptop?
If so, you may have hidden recovery partitions using up your limit on 4 primary partitions.
You will need to use gparted to create logical partitions in the partition with free memory

Members online