Introduction to Linux

Rob

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Credits
Welcome to Linux.org's "Getting Started with Linux: Beginner Level Course". If you're new to Linux and want to find out how to use the fastest growing operating system today, all you have to do is follow these lessons and you'll be using Linux efficiently in no time.

Getting Started with Linux: Beginner Level Course is designed as a self-study course. One of the things that makes this course unique is that at any point during a course, you can add a note, or comment. This is done in the comments bar on the right hand side of the screen. These comments can be made public or private, and can take any form that you like. Feel free to use them to ask questions, answer other users questions, post code updates, or suggest different methodologies for solving problems.

Linux is a very popular operating system, and this course is followed by thousands of people each day. Due to this, there are a lot of people online who are also in the process of learning it. So please feel free to ask any questions that you have and someone in the Linux Community will probably answer you! Also, this whole site, including the courses are regularly moderated. If you don't get an answer to a question, we will do our best to answer it for you. In addition, please send us your suggestions for how we can improve the courses, any typos that you have noticed, or any errors that you have encountered.

If you're ready to start learning about Linux, you may start at our table of contents or you may want to jump right into lesson one What Is Linux?.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 51,178
Last edited by a moderator:

Getting Started with Linux: Beginner Level Course is designed as a self-study course. This one?

At one point, the tutorials were meant to be more of a course instead of a bunch of tutorials.. you can just read through all of them in beginner, then intermediate, then advanced. They don't cover everything, but should get you a good understanding of most things.

The link @arochester put is another good read.

Top 5 Courses of Linux Online
==================================
Linux Foundation Certified System Administrator (LFCS) Complete Video Course | Pearson IT Certification - http://bit.ly/LFCS-Linux

Online Training in Linux, AWS, OpenStack, DevOps, & Azure | Linux Academy - http://bit.ly/LinuxAcademyLessons

Linux Admin Online Training | Linux Admin Certification Course | Edureka - http://bit.ly/EdurekaLinuxAdmin

Complete Linux course: Become a Linux professional | Udemy - http://bit.ly/UdemyCompleteLinux

Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) and Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) Certification with Virtual Machines, 2nd Edition | Pearson IT Certification - http://bit.ly/RedHat-Linux

Hello to all!
Rob mentioned a table of contents here:
If you're ready to start learning about Linux, you may start at our table of contents or you may want to jump right into lesson one What Is Linux?.
Please advise where I can find it?

Yeah, i think that was in one of our earlier versions of it when we were using different software for the tutorials.. I do need to get on it and make up a little index or table of contents of sorts.

What is the best command to use in order to scroll through syslog files?
If you're looking for specific information, you can cat the syslog file and grep for your pattern..

like:
Code:
cat /var/log/syslog | grep xxxx

Thank you!

I apologize I did not formally introduce myself. I am very new to linux and tried to search through syslog for errors and had issues with the proper command

If you're looking for specific information, you can cat the syslog file and grep for your pattern..

like:
Code:
cat /var/log/syslog | grep xxxx

Or more efficiently, just use grep on its own:
Code:
grep xxxx /var/log/syslog

Sorry - seeing as this thread was in the recently edited posts, I figured I'd be pedantic and point that out! :)
I've probably used cat and grep in a few posts here, but there is really no need. Why cat and grep when you can simply grep?!

Welcome to Linux.org's "Getting Started with Linux: Beginner Level Course". If you're new to Linux and want to find out how to use the fastest growing operating system today, all you have to do is follow these lessons and you'll be using Linux efficiently in no time.

Getting Started with Linux: Beginner Level Course is designed as a self-study course. One of the things that makes this course unique is that at any point during a course, you can add a note, or comment. This is done in the comments bar on the right hand side of the screen. These comments can be made public or private, and can take any form that you like. Feel free to use them to ask questions, answer other users questions, post code updates, or suggest different methodologies for solving problems.

Linux is a very popular operating system, and this course is followed by thousands of people each day. Due to this, there are a lot of people online who are also in the process of learning it. So please feel free to ask any questions that you have and someone in the Linux Community will probably answer you! Also, this whole site, including the courses are regularly moderated. If you don't get an answer to a question, we will do our best to answer it for you. In addition, please send us your suggestions for how we can improve the courses, any typos that you have noticed, or any errors that you have encountered.

Thanks,
I'm new to Linux, and had to try a few releases before landing on Kubuntu 19.04.
The easiest to use...I gotta' get more coffee.
Thanks again.

Hi,
I'm new here I,ve used ubuntu linux by dual booting before but just used normally but now I want to get pretty serious about learning completely and would like to start my programming journey , would dual booting any distros would be better or full installation is recommended. which distro would be better or only linux please let me know.
Thank you

Hi,
I'm new here I,ve used ubuntu linux by dual booting before but just used normally but now I want to get pretty serious about learning completely and would like to start my programming journey , would dual booting any distros would be better or full installation is recommended. which distro would be better or only linux please let me know.
Thank you

If you want to get into programming - just install any distro and start learning. It really doesn't matter which distro you use. All of the programming tools you need will be in your chosen distros software repositories. If you install a distro with a large software selection - like anything Debian-based, or Fedora-based, or perhaps even Arch-based - you're pretty much guaranteed to have everything you need available to you. But even distros with a more limited selection of software will still have a wide range of developer tools available.

And if you aren't completely ready to ditch Windows yet, you can always dual-boot with windows. But there is no need to have multiple Linux distros installed.

Take a look at the following screenshot, of the front page of "Getting Started"

kFnHHkD.png

Start Thread on Which Linux To Download/Use here

The above page is where I provided the links above.

Where my mouse cursor is hovering it has turned into a hand with a pointing finger. Click there.

Then go to the following link

https://www.linux.org/forums/general-linux.143/

O4yfbbV.png

Start Thread on Which Linux Books/Guides to Read here

You will get the help you need by doing things this way, and not posting at what is a tutorial.

I hope this is clear, I do not know how to put it any clearer. And yes, put in that attachment with your specs, in the Getting Started thread.

Thank you

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

saya menarik bagi saya, sebelumnya saya meminta banyak terimakasih dengan adanya informasi tentang materi tentang linux.
Saya juga pernah belajar tentang linux di situs ToriqaMedia, ada banyak informasi menarik tentang linux, terutama sejarah dan perkembangan linux itu sendiri.
Dan saya tertarik belajar lebih dalam lagi, mohon dukungannya.

Thanks guys! I think it will be fun!!! :-{ )

Latest posts