Install a distro from another distro

Z

zRokh

Hey, is it possible to install a distro while booted on another?
Like install Ubuntu while being on Trisquel, so it wouldnt need a Live CD.
Thank you in advance!

But how about when i download an ISO and then couldn't i install it like a program in Wine

If you use some bootloader as Grub or lilo you can boot iso via them.

But the problem is that booted software must support it...for example some old distro try to find cd-rom.

Wine is an attempt to run a Windows program on Linux. This technology will not allow you to install a distribution. No matter how you do this, an installation medium is required (the ISO). Perhaps you want to install a Linux Distribution in VirtualBox?

I will try it with Grub.

No, because i always have trouble with the installing of the OS there :D

You have trouble installing it in Vbox? What troubles do you have?
Maybe watch a video on how to install in vbox?

A VM is really the only way I can think of running an OS within another OS. Because these aren't applications you won't be able to 'overlay' a Linux distro on to another. Even something like Puppy Linux that runs entirely in RAM, will require you to boot into Puppy and you won't be able to switch between distros without a reboot. Even bootloaders like GRUB are transferred control at boot from the MBR so you won't be able to run a distro without booting into it in some form, which will not give you the ability to transfer control to your original distro.

A VM like Virtual box is the best way to accomplish what you're trying to do, but if you don't want to go that route you can always dual boot.

Is there a specific reason you want to run two distros at the same time?

no, i would like to run two distros at the same time...
but i think i remember that when i had my previous PC and i installed Ubuntu on it then i got to install the test version before the full version...
so i think im going to try that

Well the good thing about Ubuntu and various other Linux distros. You don't need to install a "test" version you can run it straight from a usb as a livecd with full functionality as the installed version.

Members online