Hello

A

Allison

Hi! My name is Allison. I am a 23 year old stay at home mom to 3 wonderful kids. I've been married since 2007. I've never actually used Linux, but I know that my husband and brother have commonly used it to salvage computers that were too fried to run Windows. I'd like to try it out for myself, without their input (I like to do things separate from them, just to prove I can). I'm hoping to find great things in Linux.

Do most of you use Linux exclusively, or do you switch back and forth?

Hello Allison. Well i personally use Linux as my main OS. The only time i switch to Windows is when I use my music studio or animation software. I'm sure you will find great things in Linux. Do you have any idea what Distro you will use? May I recommend Mint 12, I think Gnome 3 is a truly beautiful. Ubuntu kind of went downhill with its new Unity shell, at least in my opinion. Well have fun and I hope everything goes smoothly for you :)

Allison,
I'm just getting started on Linux as well. I had an old PC i didn't use so I chose to do a Linux only install however my most of my everyday PCs (home and work laptop) are windows. I would recommend doing a dual boot or what they call a Wubi install which allows you to install Ubuntu within Windows to get started to ease into Linux but for some going all in works best. there was a recent post in this forum that addressed your exact situation which is linked here, hopefully it helps

http://www.linuxforum.com/content.php/160-New-To-Linux-Part-2- –-Getting-Started-With-Ubuntu-11-10

Hi allison and welcome to the forum :) I'm a newbie and a mom too :) Im mostly a mac user but my husband swears by linux so i figured id give it a shot.

Staff online

Members online