UEFI boot?

Discussion in 'Laptops / Netbooks' started by Rob, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Rob

Rob Administrator Staff Member

I'm attempting to blow out my wife's new windows 8 toshiba satellite c855-s5350 with Linux but it won't boot from the install dvd..

The dvd worked fine on my older laptop..

As it boots, I'm hitting f12.. pick the dvd to boot..

Here's the msg I get as it tries to load it:
    Checking Media [fail]

Then it boots into Windows 8

Guessing this is the whole locked down UEFI boot thing..
  2. Rob

Rob Administrator Staff Member

Got it - I had to go into windows 8 advanced settings, go into the uefi settings which would launch the 'bios' .. and disable secure boot.

This allowed me to boot off a 64bit ubuntu usb drive and I installed from there.
    Primit1v3 likes this.
  3. KenJackson

KenJackson Active Member

Are you saying you had to do it from within Windows8? You couldn't do it from the BIOS screen?

That's scary. What if the disk gets corrupted?

I have yet to put my fingers on a UEFI PC, but of course that will change at some point. Still don't see the advantage for anyone but Microsoft.
  4. sylvaticus

sylvaticus New Member

Hello.. in my case Win8 settings just send me to the bios when I can disable Secure Boot.. however, even if I disable it, I still have the "Checking media fail" output.
    The CD itself (a DVD medium actually, Ubuntu 12.10 amd64) boots great on other laptops...

What could I do (other than splash the laptot on the head of the seller .. now I'm getting violent, I know..) ??
  5. pane-free

pane-free Active Member

Rob likes this.
  6. pane-free

pane-free Active Member

It figures -- redhat and 'buntu sell out and slackware works it out! Just a commentary, stating something backed up by reference. Last I'll say anything about it unless censored.
  7. Eugen Jinga

Eugen Jinga New Member

i bought a toshiba satellite c855 i installed linux mint 13,and when i want to shutdown restarted again,idiscovered that ican install opensuse last version,dual boot with win 8 64 bit pro,i use opensuse primarily.i hope this helps.
  8. Primit1v3

Primit1v3 Member

Luckily, my Gateway had the Legecy/UEFI settings for easy change. Problem I'm having is nothing seems to want to boot with UEFI settings.
  9. MikeyD

MikeyD Active Member

Secure Boot is downright criminal I'm not sure how this hasn't been brought up as an antitrust violation. I'm glad it wasn't too tough for you Rob, as more often I hear statements like Sylvaticus' that disabling that secure boot option does nothing.

Of course even finding a laptop these says without Win 8 is a task in itself. I luckily bought mine 6+ months ago and even then it was one of the few still available with Win7.
    Rob likes this.
  10. pimpcode74

pimpcode74 New Member

I recently bought a lenovo g505 with win8 pre-installed and had some problems installing because of UEFI. I had to go into BIOS and change it to legacy boot to boot from install DVD. I boot linux from mbr, IF i need to use windows, i just change to UEFI boot.