Ubuntu Slow Boot

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by wjack2010, Mar 27, 2012.

1. wjack2010

wjack2010 New Member

After having previously installed Ubuntu, I noticed the boot speed was fairly slow compared to that of Windows XP and Windows 7. It runs through those coloured dots for a bit, before allowing me to log-on, this takes quite a bit of time. Is it a problem, or normally like this? My computer has a good amount of RAM, and runs fast for every other task, and when Ubuntu is fully booted and I'm logged-in; it runs fine then too.

2. Krymzn

Krymzn New Member

Is it your primary OS? That's my only guess to this.
  3. brainard52

brainard52 New Member

I have no idea why this would be. What version are you using? I know that my 11.04 laptop will boot in like 30-45 seconds or so. (Gnome3 if you must know)

Sent from the R800x (CM9) that I wish were an Ubuntu Android.
  4. wjack2010

wjack2010 New Member

It used to be my primary operating system, version 11.04. But I removed it not long a go because it was slow, and went back to Windows 7 Starter Edition ;)
  5. brainard52

brainard52 New Member

How old was the HW? It couldn't have been THAT old as it's usually faster than Win7.
  6. wjack2010

wjack2010 New Member

Hmm, may I ask what a "HW" is exactly? Sorry, I don't know what that means :(
  7. brainard52

brainard52 New Member

Hardware.
  8. wjack2010

wjack2010 New Member

Oh well my computer was a year old, a couple of weeks a go, about 3 weeks.
  9. brainard52

brainard52 New Member

Um, wow. This may have been a bad install. Has your computer ever lost power? You may have to do a clean install.

Sent from the R800x (CM9) that I wish were an Ubuntu Android.
  10. DaReaper

DaReaper New Member

If you're using the new version of Ubuntu that is 11.04 or 11.10, i had the similar issue, usually boot time at first used to take me around 3-5 minutes after the upgrade i had done from 11.04 to 11.10, i had issues with certain applications too, it takes time to open up firefox and stuff.

What i figured was that i had to update my BIOS and Audio drivers which was the cause of my slow boot issue, i did that and it started working fine. After which i had other issues with hardware so i switched back to 10.04 again.
  11. brainard52

brainard52 New Member

I think that the update system is not entirely perfected yet. That's why I believe that a fresh install would work just fine for you. Grab a copy of 12.04 LTS, and do a fresh install. be sure to back-up all your documents and take note of the software you've installed. Do the fresh install, and then move your docs and stuff back to your computer :3
  12. Stefano Messicano

Stefano Messicano New Member

You could start by disabling some services at startup like Bluetooth and Remote Desktop and Gnome Login Sound.Go to System > Administration > Startup Applications to de-select the items for running at startup and see if you notice any change in boot up time.
  13. Famous

Famous New Member

If it loads into memory (RAM) from the pen drive, it will be much faster than running from the HDD.
  14. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I'm very very new so I don't know how much help I can be but have you tried using Mint?
  15. Delta Locksmith

Delta Locksmith New Member

I'm not a great expert but maybe it is connected to a messy desktop with a lot of high heavy software that also effecting the boot to go slower.