Try Calligra 2.4 for a New Microsoft Office Alternative

Discussion in 'Linux News' started by Rob, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Rob

Rob Administrator Staff Member

Microsoft Office may be the dominant productivity suite in much of the computing world, but it's not for a lack of alternatives. Two free and open source contenders have already achieved particularly widespread acclaim for their strength and usability--LibreOffice and OpenOffice.org--but this week saw the launch of a third. ... Full story here.

More...

2. Sinister_Diagram

Sinister_Diagram New Member

This is awesome! I currently use OpenOffice on my Windows 7 computer and Libre Office on Xubuntu. I can say that both are good when it comes to free alternatives for Microsoft office - though there are certain issues. I believe the performance could be better for both as I have experienced lag or brief freezing during use. I am definitely going to check this out and may even give it a try.
  3. psufootball

psufootball New Member

This looks pretty damn cool, very different from MS Office or Open/Libre Office, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm definitely going to try this out, I'm always up for when people try and challenge these big software companies like MS. If they can be a better Word than MS Word- all the power to them.
  4. Sinister_Diagram

Sinister_Diagram New Member

This is one thing that I love so much about the Linux community - that so many people are willing to create programs/software that is available to everyone without a huge price tag. Be it alternatives to name brand or "mainstream" software to creating something completely original. The Linux community provides so much for people and I am still amazed that it is considered the smallest when it comes to users.

It does appear that Calligra is going for a different look when compared to Libra or OpenOffice. I hope so, to be honest. I want to see something new and refreshing!