Toshiba NB500

Discussion in 'Laptops / Netbooks' started by Matthew Swart, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Matthew Swart

Matthew Swart New Member

Hi All

I am new to these parts and was wondering if anyone could help me.

I got a Toshiba NB500 as payment on a job I did for a family friend a while back. It came with Windows 7 Start version and was slower then a snail on acid. In the past I have had CrunchBang on the system and at the moment Puppy Mint. I find the Mint sluggish on the system and I am now looking for something light weight.

My wife is going back to college in September and I want to give her the netbook with a limited learning curve. She is used to windows and I have set her up with Google drive so that all her documents are in one place.

I am looking for a distro that wont kick and scream on the Toshiba which has an Atom processor but I should be able to add the software that will help her in college i.e Libreoffice, calculator etc etc.

Thanks a million for taking the time to read my post and I welcome and thank you for any and all input you may provide.

Matt
  2. WharfRat

WharfRat New Member

For a low learning curve I would recommend Mint with the Mate desktop.

Peppermint would also be a good contender. Out of curiosity I tossed peppermint one in a virtual box three years ago and it still updates and runs.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=peppermint

Good luck ;)
    Matthew Swart likes this.
  3. arochester

arochester Well-Known Member

Has your netbook got the 1Gb default RAM? Can you max it out to 2Gb?
  4. Matthew Swart

Matthew Swart New Member

All ready have 2GB in it at moment upgraded that when I got it as windows didn't like the 1 GB.

Thanks for the post WharfRat I am downloading and trying all the suggested distros but a learning curve for me as I am used to #! which is on my other laptop and happy with it.
  5. edward_haigh

edward_haigh New Member

https://www.linuxliteos.com/

Linux Lite is designed for new users to Linux, while also being designed to give computers a few more years of life. Why not run it in a VM and see how you get on with it?