1. IMPORTANT - 11/13/2015: In light of a possible breach we have scrubbed all passwords. You will need to request a password reset through the site. Click here for more information.

To many decisions.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Showlowzook, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Mario Caveda

Mario Caveda New Member

Sep 16, 2013
    why don't you try Ubuntu with LXDE or Xfce as desktop environment? this is very easy to use. later you may tr KDE as a desktop environment.

DevynCJohnson likes this.
  2. MikeyD

MikeyD Active Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Truthfully as unfortunate as it sounds I do agree with flunwyc I think you may be better off sticking with Windows if ease of use and simplicity of options is your primary concern.

Linux is a faster, more responsive, secure OS with proper knowledge and a little tinkering, but for pure simplicity and ease of commercial use unfortunately I don't think it will fit your needs like a Windows system. If you have a child that plays games it will pose a problem as the best option for Windows-based games is to run through a VM, which is generally slower than on a native OS. Open-source programs are compatible with .doc formats but even those save by default as .odt and offer a lot more format-saving options than you'll probably ever need.

I am interested though as to why you are sick of Windows if all you really want is a computer that runs like Windows? No offense, but I never really understand people that want to switch from Windows to a different OS that looks and behaves exactly like Windows. This is the reason I agree with flunwyc and the reason I love Linux. It doesn't behave like Windows. Even Ubuntu can at some point require tinkering at the command-line, if an update conflicts with something. Linux is made to be customizable and tailored to individual users, but not plug-and-play (contrary to the way most distros tailor themselves these days unfortunately).

If you are dead set on ditching Windows I would recommend either Ubuntu or Mint as these are compatible with a vast majority of hardware out of the box and include software to handle most of your everyday use. I would also HIGHLY recommend doing a bit of research on Linux and how it differs from Windows.
  3. flunwyc

flunwyc Member

Sep 3, 2013
    MikeyD, Darren Hale and DevynCJohnson like this.