• nano

Votes: 29 17.4%
  • pico

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • other

Votes: 32 19.2%

• Total voters

I planted firmly in the "other" category! :p

What I hope I mean by that is... I think I can use just about anything put in front of me. And I'm equally slow in all of them. :D

I'm primarily a vim user, but I am happy to use whatever editor comes to hand if need be.
I have committed heresy recently and started using Spacemacs for maintaining TODO lists using emacs org-mode. With vim keybindings of course! The vim keybindings make the emacs experience a lot nicer for me. The Spacemacs shortcuts are kinda handy too.

But for 99% of text editing I still use vim. I don't really use anything much in the way of plugins either - pretty much vanilla vim, with a few custom keybinds added to my .vimrc to allow me to deal with re-organising/switching buffers and tabs, enabling/disabling spell-checking etc.

Reactions: Rob
I use vim because it's fast, powerful, and I know it best. I do like playing with other editors, though, some favorites being emacs and sublime.

Why Vim has taken more vote than Emacs? Someone could me explain it?

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Though i dont agree. vi/vim is more popular than emacs.

They just don't underatand how powerful and customizable emacs is! ;^)

Here come the flames! ;^)

For me, it's about what's going to be installed on every box I touch. I know vi/vim will, but on CentOS, i've found that i've had to specifically install emacs for developers in the past.

I have root access to all the Linux systems I need to access. emacs is installed on all, and can be used either as a gui or command line.

I believe, Nano and/or other simple editors are usually installed by default on most Linux Distros, and would be simpler to use for beginners than vi/vim. A command line, dual mode editor is hard to get used to, and drives me crazy. I would only use vi/vim if nano (Or others) or emacs, were not available. Rob and I will have to agree to disagree! ;^)

I absolutely love vi and use only that. In the beginning it's all a bit strange and counter-intuitive but when you get the hang of it, its is awesome. Yanking a couple of lines here, placing them there, deleting from the current cursor position until the end of the file, etc. I guess I'm a real geek now ;-)

I absolutely love vi and use only that. In the beginning it's all a bit strange and counter-intuitive but when you get the hang of it, its is awesome. Yanking a couple of lines here, placing them there, deleting from the current cursor position until the end of the file, etc. I guess I'm a real geek now ;-)
Yes! Wear the geek label proudly.:D:D

would a redirected cat output be an editor also?

Yes, you can use cat as a simple editor if you do this:
Code:
 cat > /path/to/nameoffile
Then cat will continuously read input from stdin (the keyboard) and write it to a file - until you press ctrl+d.

NOTE: The above would write the file from scratch, so if the file already exists - it will be completely overwritten with whatever you type.

Or this would append whatever you type to the end of an existing file:
Code:
cat >> nameoffile

Can you give most used/needed commands of Vi/Vim?

Can you give most used/needed commands of Vi/Vim?

There are loads of cheat-sheets available online for vim.
Here's a page with several good ones on it:
https://rumorscity.com/2014/08/16/5-best-vim-cheat-sheet/

All of the cheat-sheets on the linked page contain the most commonly used vi/vim commands.

Also, if you have the full version of vim installed, you can use the command:
Code:
vimtutor
to access a tutorial which will walk you through basic vim usage.

Latest posts