Steam and L4D2 coming to Ubuntu!

Discussion in 'Linux News' started by lucasbytegenius, Jul 18, 2012.

1. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius New Member

Valve is working on bringing Steam and Left 4 Dead 2 to Ubuntu :D Here's the blog post: http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/
    This is awesome, because I've been wanting Steam for Linux very badly, as running Steam and its games in WINE didn't work very well for me. A lot of games will have to be ported to work with Linux, but it's an awesome step and should encourage more developers to make games for Linux.

Left 4 Dead 2 is a zombie FPS game that a friend of mine recently gifted to me, and it's really fun, though not exactly the best game to play around little kids or those with queasy stomachs, due to the blood and gore. But it's an excellent title to start porting to Linux. I hope to see Team Fortress 2 to show up soon, it's what I play most often.

2. ghost4782000

ghost4782000 New Member

sounds like fun
  3. ghost4782000

ghost4782000 New Member

Hope your Team Fortress 2 dream comes true.
  4. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius New Member

I hope so too. I play it almost every day and I love it so much.
  5. MrBojangles7331

MrBojangles7331 New Member

This is fantastic news, I feel like gaming is one of the largest hindrances to Linux adoption at a home environment. Valve is one of the largest PC game publishers out there, and making their content distribution system and many of their games available on Linux is a huge step. If they are converting L4D2 to Linux, it also probably means the vast majority of their engine will be ported which will help facilitate other games using the same engine. Hopefully in the future it will be standard to include Linux versions of games.

Also, Heroes of Newerth is a free (commercial) game that has been out for quite a while which boasts Linux support. Very fun to play, made by a company who has consistently released their games for Linux.