Should you be worried about Ubuntu Desktop’s privacy settings?

Discussion in 'Linux News' started by News, Apr 6, 2012.

1. News

News LF News Poster

You will find one of those new features in System Settings, the hub for most graphical administrative tools in Ubuntu and GNOME 3 desktops in general. The tool or application is called Privacy. What it does is not new per se, but new in the manner it executes them.

More...

2. paolochicha

paolochicha New Member

This privacy mess is typical for any free product. If it does not cost you anything than obviously you, the user, are the product. Facebook and Twitter ring a bell? How do you think they make money? By profiling you so they can sell that information and/or shove better “personalized” ads down your throat. Now think about the recent news articles about Ubuntu TV. What keeps TV afloat? Ads. What do they need for effective ads? They need to know everything about you, the user/viewer/consumer. If you don’t like that then don’t use their products.

Our privacy is rapidly becoming a more scarce good than fist-size diamonds. The choice is yours if you want to safeguard (some of) your privacy or not. I do value my privacy so the moment I saw the Privacy settings in 12.04 I saw the writing on the wall and switched from Ubuntu to Fedora & CentOS. With Fedora at least I know that *I* am not the product because Fedora is a conduit to Red Hat Enterprise Linux which brings in a billion dollars of revenue. And Fedora or CentOS do not collect any information about what I do on my boxes. Feels a lot safer to me.

Realize that your privacy does not come with a refund. Once it’s “sold”, you can never go back. Why not err on the side of caution and avoid that which will take from you what you can never get back.

Whatever you do, be safe out there!