Hello

I

i8DRM

Found this forum doing Google search of 'Linux forums beginner'. Was planning to eventually switch from XP Pro to Linux, but hit some problems, which hopefully can be overcome, but will likely require more know-how than a newbie has....hence my reason for joining.

Welcome i8DRM. Which Linux distro did you decide to try? Can you give a quick over view of the problems you are having? If they are simple enough, we can try to solve them in this thread. If not, you may need to make a new thread for each.

Welcome i8DRM. Which Linux distro did you decide to try? Can you give a quick over view of the problems you are having? If they are simple enough, we can try to solve them in this thread. If not, you may need to make a new thread for each.

I'll be doing custom-build having three mobile-rack type HDDs, that will allow me to trial many operating systems. For Linux, I whittled it down to under ten distros to test out. Don't have list with me, but recall Linux Mint, Ultimate Edition, and Fortress Linux is at the top. Expect to start out (and concentrate on) Linux Mint, as everyone says its easiest for newbie. Right now my major problem is I want to eventually replace XP Pro with a DRM-free OS. When I asked for recommendations at various forums, Linux and BSD was the consensus. Unfortunately, research has since uncovered this is not the case. A lot of Trusted Computing junk has made its way into the kernel...and maybe distros too. If I want a DRM-free OS, it looks like I must learn how to pare down the kernel, and filter out the crud. I definitely need help on this!

If you want a completely DRM free machine, you will not be able to play MP3s, DVDs, or CDs. Why would you want a DRM free computer?

Is there a particular reason why you want to be DRM-free? or is this is religious sort of thing?

Welcome. :)

If you want a completely DRM free machine, you will not be able to play MP3s, DVDs, or CDs. Why would you want a DRM free computer?

I already have regular DVD player, all formats DVD player, and DVD recorder...all DRM free. Already have CD player. No problem. I done quite a bit of research on DRM, and well aware of the pro (few) and con (many). Why would I not want a DRM-free PC?

Is there a particular reason why you want to be DRM-free? or is this is religious sort of thing?

Welcome. :)

When Billie Gates, Hollyweird, Music Industry, Trusted Computing Group, and assorted modern day wannabe Robber Barons buy me a custom-build PC, buy me all software I want, buy me DSL, etc., then I'll consider allowing them to tell me when, and where, and how I can use my PC...until then, these cretins don't get any say at all. So long as I foot the bills, I am Lord High God of my PC, and I am a jealous God! How's that for religious?

Obviously not Richard Stallman incognito!

Welcome! (Linux takes all sorts)

Obviously not Richard Stallman incognito!

Welcome! (Linux takes all sorts)

Frankly I don't see much diff between Stallman and Torvalds. Both have their axe to grind and both take it to the extreme now and then. Sometimes I agree with Stallman, sometimes with Torvalds. Obviously with DRM, its Stallman all the way...and maybe then some more!

RMS allows for one version of freedom, whilst Torvalds allows for many. That he accused Torvalds of not believing in freedom is distasteful at best.

RMS allows for one version of freedom, whilst Torvalds allows for many. That he accused Torvalds of not believing in freedom is distasteful at best.

Like I said, both have their axe to grind, and both have their Sacred Cows. As I recall, Torvalds has issued his fair share of accusations over the years. When it comes to such stuff, you pick and choose, rather than swallow whole what either is pushing...unless you're a devotee (and I'm not). When it comes to DRM, RMS agrees with my conclusions, and Torvalds obviously does not. If Torvalds really allowed "for many" versions of freedom as you suggest, there would be an actual choice for those like myself. There would be a Linux kernel version, and at least one distro, that is DRM-free.

The Linux kernel is made freely available. The source is open, and anyone is welcome to hack it. You could essentially build your own distribution if you so choose. How is this a proof of Torvalds disallowing the freedom of choice for you? Just because there is a lack of DRM-free choices out there -- or even, if you cannot find anything out there, does not mean that it is not allowed. It just means that the crowd as a grossly generalised whole have not been putting their effort there.

The Linux kernel is made freely available. The source is open, and anyone is welcome to hack it. You could essentially build your own distribution if you so choose. How is this a proof of Torvalds disallowing the freedom of choice for you? Just because there is a lack of DRM-free choices out there -- or even, if you cannot find anything out there, does not mean that it is not allowed. It just means that the crowd as a grossly generalised whole have not been putting their effort there.
Freedom of choice depends entirely, first and foremost, on having a choice...and no, I don't mean 'my way or the highway' choice, as with RMS. Secondly, a newbie is not going to be able to rebuild, reconfigure, and so on until he learns how, which will take awhile, and until then he is stuck no choice. How hard is it to make two copies of a kernel...one you load up with DRM , one you don't?