Reseller Hosting

Discussion in 'Web Server' started by MustangV10, Nov 11, 2011.

1. MustangV10

MustangV10 New Member

What's your opinion on reseller hosting? Do you think it's a bad thing to do since it can result in crowded servers? Or do you think that if managed correctly, it can be a great program to run?

2. gcawood

gcawood Administrator Staff Member

From a web developers viewpoint, I'm not a big fan of reseller hosting. I don't see any reason why a web developer should pretend to be a hosting company when they have virtually no control over any aspect of the quality of service that is being provided. I would highly recommend that they be honest with their clients and tell them that they are not a hosting company, but they work closely with one and highly recommend them. Then they should work out a deal with the hosting company to pay you for referral business. I have seen to many web developer pretend to be hosting companies and get in way over their heads to like it.

However, from a hosting company viewpoint. Reseller programs are a quick and easy way to pick up loads of clients. Love that business model!
  3. MustangV10

MustangV10 New Member

Yeah, it's quick to set up, that's for sure. Some reseller services are better than others. I've seen some that provide very few WHM features, and I've seen others that provide a lot more. HostGator for example provide a very good reseller service. My business started from a reseller, now we run dedicated servers.