Linux loving fuddy-duddy

E

eldergeek

Hi y'all, I'm 64 years old and have been a full-time Linux user since 2006. I keep an old 800 MHz, P3 machine with Win XP on it to hook up any time I've got to deal with Verizon over a problem with our DSL. If you say the word "Linux" out loud, while on the phone with them, they pretty much cut you off and refuse to run even the most basic checks on your line.

I started with Debian Sarge & KDE on a 300 MHz, P2 machine (because nothing else I could find would run on it) and I stayed with Debian stable (& KDE), on progressively better machines, up until about a year ago when I switched to Kubuntu 12.04 because my wife liked it. I'm the geek in the family and maintenance is far easier for me if we both use the same distro.

I've tried far more distros than I want to try to type here and have given away about four dozen Linux systems over the past few years. My personal favorite distro will always be Debian; after that, I like Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mepis and Slitaz. When people question me about Linux I usually give them a Slax or Slitaz live CD to play with.

Not sure I'll be able to contribute much here but I'll happily do what I can.

Hey eldergeek, sounds like you'll fit in nicely here!!!

Welcome!

Sounds like you have plenty of experience to offer.