RDP into your Linux Desktop

Discussion in 'Desktop / X' started by Kirk, Oct 28, 2011.

?

How do you access Linux box remotely?

1. RDP

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. VNC

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. SSH

29 vote(s)
    90.6%
  4. Other

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. I didn't know I could

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BVB Media

BVB Media New Member

yum install xrdp -y is not enough. You also need to run:

yum -y install tigervnc-server
  2. Michael Steele

Michael Steele New Member

Just wanted to let folks know that the new EPEL 6 link to update the package manager in order to yum install xrdp is the following. Sorry it's not in cut and paste form, I don't have enough points in this forum to post a regular link. So just add '/' in where there are spaces.

Code:
     dl fedoraproject org slash pub slash epel slash 6 slash x86_64 slash epel-release-6-8.noarch.rpm
    DevynCJohnson likes this.
  3. DevynCJohnson

DevynCJohnson Well-Known Member Staff Member Staff Writer

dl/fedoraproject/org/pub/epel/6/x86_64/epel-release-6-8.noarch.rpm

Thanks @Michael Steele!

UPDATE:

That makes since. Duh.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  4. Michael Steele

Michael Steele New Member

Opps, when I wrote that I couldn't submit, so never updated my directions. Now replace the WORDS with appropriate punctuation.
  5. wsquix58

wsquix58 New Member

After trying to work with Linux Remote Desktops across a WAN with typical latency of around 100mSec I hit my frustration threshold. I had 3 options:
    1. Put up with the poor performance, and the resulting hair loss,
    2. Find a suitable Linux Remote Desktop Solution, or
    3. Find a workaround.
    Options 1 and 2 were no go so "workaround" it was. I run an Amazon small instance Windows Host as an RDP jump box that I use to then connect to Linux Remote Desktops within my Amazon Virtual Private Lan. I can RDP from any remote Windows desktop or MAC with an RDP client from "anywhere" and then run an X Windows server on the Windows host to get to my Linux Desktops, and I'm happy as I have best of both worlds. On the Windows Jump box you need: An X-Server (E.g. MobaXterm works nicely and is reliable and there is commercial support if you need that), SSH Client to run X over SSH, which you should (E.g. Putty), Public Private Key-pair if you want to use SSH RSA Authentication, an SFTP client (Not essential but handy, putty sftp), a key-pair generator see putty tools, and your ready to go. The beauty of it is, since I've not blocked SSH remote access to the Linux boxes, I can still ssh to those if I'm somewhere without a Windows desktop or don't have an RDP client installed (rare), or I don't need a Linux Desktop. You don't need to use SSH RSA Authentication but it is advisable. Don't put a password on your private key unless your security policy require you to do so.

Hope this is useful to someone.