Proprietary Driver for AMD-4670 desktop graphics card

Discussion in 'Mint' started by Arch Parsons, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Arch Parsons

Arch Parsons New Member

Is it possible to install a proprietary driver for the AMD/ATI 4670 HD graphics card in Mint 17? I know the AMD site does list linux drivers but I have had problems trying to install it on Mint 16 after downloading the file.

2. jerz4lunch

jerz4lunch New Member

For me, I stay as far away from proprietary drivers as I can.
  3. ryanvade

ryanvade Administrator Staff Member Staff Writer

The 4670 HD series graphics card requires Catalyst 13.1 or newer. So I suggest using the Drivers installer that should be Settings somewhere. If that does not work you will want to install ONE of these packages (I recommend fglrx-updates)
    1. fglrx
    2. fglrx-updates
    3. fglrx-experimental

This can be done either Mint's software manager or via command line like this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates
    There is no need to download directly from AMD. The packages in the Mint repositories are pulled directly from AMD and are designed for use on Mint.

IMPORTANT: you may run into problems when installing graphics drivers. Make sure to backup your data. ;)
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  4. Arch Parsons

Arch Parsons New Member

5. Arch Parsons

Arch Parsons New Member

thanks for the reply. At the end of the extractions I get the mssage: No support for locale: en_CA.utf8 Now Mint 17 fails to boot and recovery mode does not get me past the text login. I need help to configure the x-config which I know nothing about. Thanks in advance for your kind assistance to get back in to Mint 17 now that these changes have been made by running
    sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates and getting the error mentioned above. I have no critical personal data inside the linux 17 partition.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  6. ryanvade

Maybe run
    Code:
    aticonfig --initial
  7. Arch Parsons

Arch Parsons New Member

Thanks again. aticonfig -- initial comes back with "no supported adapters detected." I started in normal mode and answered no for Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?
  8. Arch Parsons

Arch Parsons New Member

Being that I was starting to miss booting into Mint 17, and not knowing how to go from here I decided to delete the partition and install the KDE version. I had the impression that the proprietary driver from AMD was going to be better than the default. I can see now why Jerz4lunch says that he stays away from proprietary drivers.
  9. ryanvade

AMD does not seem to understand how important Linux is. Nvidia and Intel both make certain to have the best drivers they can for Linux (Except for optimus support though I get around that).
  10. Arch Parsons

Arch Parsons New Member

Thanks for trying. I will keep that in mind the next time I pick up a graphics card. Increased performance (faster boot time) and popularity of Linux should influence AMD. I compared boot times. My 10 Linus distros varied from as little as 30 seconds for Mint 17 to only 1:17 (the slowest) for Ubuntu 14.04. Windows XP took 4:02, Win 7 took 2:16 and Win 8.1 took 3:30. That's on a 5-year old SATA2 hard drive, of course, not on a SSD. Of course we also need more investment from software producers especially games producers which seem to in turn drive graphics card production and their support.