Good distro for old laptop

N

nodnarb

I've got an old laptop that I wanna put linux on. Its got an AMD Turion 64 processor that can run at 1.8 GHz and 512 Mb of RAM.
I've tried Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Slacko, and SLiTaz. Obviously Lubuntu and Ubuntu used way too much ram. SliTaz can't configure my wifi. I'm currently running on Slacko, but I want something more like Ubuntu. I need to be able to bridge my wlan to my ethernet, there's not really many requirements other than that. So can you guys kinda help me find a distro or customize one that will better fit my system and my needs?

I'd recommend giving Bodhi Linux a try. It's based on Ubuntu but uses Enlightenment as the window manager, which significantly lowers the system requirements. It's pretty fast on older hardware. I put it on an old Toshiba NB205 netbook that struggled with Ubuntu and Kubuntu, and it flies. Crunchbang is fast on older hardware, too, as another alternative.

I like the looks of Bodhi. I'm downloading it right now. Is there anyway to reload drivers in it? Thats the only way I've been able to get my wifi interface to work in puppy. The switch for it is messed up so its off untill I reload the driver for it.

I'm not sure, as I've never had to do that. (Everything Linux I know is pretty much from having to figure stuff out.) But I do know Bodhi has nice forums with helpful people. And you can run it live to check out the issue before you install it. My guess is, though, that if your wifi interface works in Ubuntu, it'll work the same way in Bodhi.

Well I didn't even have to do anything to the wifi. It connected automatically. This is actually exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the help.

If you want something light that works and has access to the Ubuntu database of programs, then you can try Lucid Puppy. It's based on Ubuntu but uses JWM for the Desktop Environment. The drivers for lan and wifi are all in place. Just install Lucid Puppy and you are ready to to.

Well I didn't even have to do anything to the wifi. It connected automatically. This is actually exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the help.

Cool... hope it keeps working well for you.

I just ran an update and realized I should mention one more thing about Bodhi. If you have trouble with K Package Kit and package updates, you can use it to install Synaptic, which has worked flawlessly for me.

Better use zenix. Goes very nice on your configuration escenario. Hope helps