New Users: Can't PM or post links until you have 5 posts.

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by Rob, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Darwin

Darwin New Member

Just turn off the facility for signatures or use the limit url and signatures plugin, I see you are using some good plugins already. I would also make signatures for subscribers only or members that have PM'd you a request.

You will always get the ones that get through but the more you can divert away the better. There is also a way of blocking whole countries where a lot of spam comes from with your .htaccess, what you should also do is make your .htaccess inaccessible from attacks with a deny script.

2. Rob

Rob Administrator Staff Member

Well, I like new ppl being able to use sigs - that's how I catch most of the spammers.
  3. Snrm

Snrm New Member

I'm still having trouble. I am uploading files below 100KB and it still says invalid file and they are all JPEG. Does the forum not automatically resize images? Meaning I would need to actually have a 100x100 image below 190KB(Or something around that)
  4. Jason King

Jason King New Member

I don't envy you administrating a forum. I've done it before.. Good luck and have fun
  5. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I was just about to say upping it to 10 would probably be a good idea. 5 posts is pretty easy to do and if they really wanted to spam this site they would do 5 no problem. But you're the admin so its all on you :) I was also going to suggest that maybe have people be a member for 24 hours before posting links? Most spammers would probably get bored or forget about the site :p
  6. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Oh...I just realized this post was old....Sorry!!!
  7. ghost4782000

ghost4782000 New Member

Thanks for the updates
  8. VP9KS

VP9KS Member

I don't think it works that way. I just joined a couple hours ago, and I set my avatar right away.
    DevynCJohnson likes this.
  9. flunwyc

flunwyc Member

Actually I'm glad this was resurrected as the spam situation is becoming a problem and will only get worse. I would suggest disabling the signature field or posting of links in the signature for the first 10 posts if it's possible to do that in XenForo?
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  10. cenyebin

cenyebin New Member

ok .i have known that .
  11. |)/-\|)

|)/-\|) Member

Why not just refuse posting of links to new users for 6 mos to a year? You know, trust and commitment!