Minetest vs Minecraft

Discussion in 'Desktop / X' started by DevynCJohnson, Feb 2, 2014.

1. DevynCJohnson

DevynCJohnson Well-Known Member Staff Member Staff Writer

Mitt Green likes this.
  2. Mitt Green

Mitt Green Member

My experience in Minecraft is not so big, but I can say that it's more difficult for beginner to start with. I also prefer Minetest because it's free and easy to get, while Minecraft is not.
    DevynCJohnson likes this.
  3. Virneto

Virneto Member

I have a brother (age 11) who I'm trying to bring to Linux.
    Since he loves Minecraft, I'v pulled Minetest for him.
    His veredict is tat MInetest only simulates Minecraft. Minecraft is far better then Minetest.I hope the OSS comunity can revert that.
  4. Yesyesloud

Yesyesloud Active Member

Minecraft is a pretty simple game, Minetest sure is as good as that. It's a matter of habit, your brother is a kid, he's obviously used to and more comfortable with minecraft, it's simpler for him to pick favourites.

If only we were comparing a bleeding-edge FPS with some open source game that's still using an old engine...

I wonder what kind of free games will come to life when the current engines "become" open source though :D
    Virneto likes this.
  5. ryanvade

ryanvade Administrator Staff Member Staff Writer

I just want Minencraft to have better performance. Switching to C++ would be awesome.

I don't like the lack of features in Minetest. It just seems to be so empty. Definitely has potential though.
    Virneto likes this.
  6. Virneto

Virneto Member

I'm starring at Valve to boost Linux Power in gaming!!!
    Touché!! That's preciselly what my brother mentioned!!! "Its an empty world"
    ;)
  7. DevynCJohnson

The PPA provided in the first post offers Minetest v0.4.9 which now has a "Mod store" where users can download and install more mods for free. Minetest v0.4.9 is significantly better than v0.4.7 which is in most stable repos currently. Minetest v0.4.9 also has weather features (sometimes it snows).
    ryanvade likes this.
  8. Archonsg

Archonsg Member

My daughter is a minecraft addict, I'll see what she says about minetest once I get home and install it on the my fedora test set that I will be setting up for a trial run.

Yeah, think that might be a downer for her since a large part of why she plays minecraft is because her friends play it as well, I think of it as a digital sandbox and she chats to them while shaping the landscape. If its going to be empty which is more then likely since I am pretty sure none of her friends (or friends' dads /moms) are technically savvy (or geeky) enough to have linux boxes just lying around for their kids to play with, she is going to try it for a few mins then leave complaining that its "boring".

As for Valve pushing Linux as the gaming platform of choice, we can only hope so.
    2014/15 will be interesting indeed given more and more high quality visual games such as Metro : Last Light and others are now showing up as Linux games.
    DevynCJohnson likes this.
  9. ryanvade

ryanvade Administrator Staff Member Staff Writer

I do like the furniture in Minetest...a mod anyway. There is now a furniture mod for Minecraft so what now?

Minetest is seriously faster than Minecraft which I think is its biggest advantage.
    Kryyll, Yesyesloud and DevynCJohnson like this.
  10. bashcommando

bashcommando Active Member

That's what mods are for!
    Kryyll and DevynCJohnson like this.
  11. DevynCJohnson

Very true. I have been tinkering with Minetest (because I want to make a game server and have fun), and I have found some many mods that add bad guys, boats, TNT, this, that, and everything else. Minetest is what you make it. It is only "empty" if you make it that way.

By the way, when and if i have a public server up and going, I will post the information here so you can all see that it is far from empty (and so I can lock Ryan away in a cave with a Dungeon Master and no escape ;)).
    Kryyll and Yesyesloud like this.