1. IMPORTANT - 11/13/2015: In light of a possible breach we have scrubbed all passwords. You will need to request a password reset through the site. Click here for more information.

Lubuntu or SolydXK

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Traceguy, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Traceguy

Traceguy New Member

Apr 15, 2014
    So I'm cleaning up a really old windows XP 32-bit computer and I decided it would probably be best to put Linux on it.

I am most familiar with Ubuntu, however, Ubuntu seems like it runs slow on some computer and thus would probably be to slow on this older PC.

I looked up some distros and it looks like Lubuntu is very popular because it's just like Ubuntu but it's lightweight for older/slow computers <--- the perfect solution

I also found a distro called SolydXK which is suppose to be as nice (if not nicer) than Ubuntu. I can't find System requirements though.

Off the top of my head the PC has 3.00Gb DDR1 ram, and about 2.8Ghz with some kind of Pentium 4 processor.

Would SolydXK work well or should I go with the lubuntu?
  2. arochester

arochester Super Moderator Staff Member

Nov 23, 2012
    SolydXK is actually two versions. The X is the Xfce version and the K is the KDE version - they are based on Debian.

It is generally accepted that LXDE is faster than Xfce4 (like Xubuntu) and certainly KDE (like Kubuntu).

It might be throwing a spanner in the works but also look at LXLE - http://lxle.net/ ...