Low sys requirements distro

Discussion in 'General Linux' started by Lou, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Lou

Lou New Member

Hello, I'm running UBUNTU on an old Compaq with a Celeron 2.7 GHz and 512MB DDR sdram box with on-board video. I only use it for hosting a Teamspeak 3 server and some old game servers. Ubuntu will no longer update/upgrade on my system due to new-higher system requirements.

What would be a good distro to install on this box so I can continue to use security updates without upgrading my hardware?

Thanks,

Lou

DevynCJohnson likes this.
  2. arochester

arochester Well-Known Member

Stick with "Ubuntu" types. Install Lubuntu.
  3. Lou

Lou New Member

Thank you. I'm downloading it now. :)
  4. pane-free

pane-free Active Member

antiX is difficult or impossible to beat in the Debian-derived world for old hardware such as yours. You'll stand to learn a thing or two, as well.

I'm a fan no longer for 'buntus.
    alug_Doc likes this.
  5. Tux1342

Tux1342 New Member

It depends, If you experienced with linux, maybe you can try arch linux? It's ideal for this situation, but if you cant handle CLI, thats fine. I would not recommend lubuntu, as its not the most lightweight solution, I recommend Elementary os, its fast stable, and actually surprisingly good looking considering how light it is. If you really want to go lubuntu, that's up to you, and there is nothing wrong with that choice, but in my opinion elementary will work better. And if neither of those are working for you, try running just a basic WM instead of a full DE, an easy to use, lightweight example is Openbox, on either lubuntu or elementary the command should be: apt-get install openbox.
  6. arochester

arochester Well-Known Member

Both Lubuntu and ElementaryOS are Ubuntu variations.

ElementaryOS Minimum System Requirements

Lubuntu System Requirements

7. Aether

Aether New Member

Try Puppy Linux.
    From the website "People have succeeded in running Puppy with a 333MHz CPU and 64MB. However having 256MB RAM and a 512MB swap file is more realistic."